Thread: JBL week to remember - Score 2!

JBL week to remember - Score 2!

Last Friday morning, the day after picking up the JBL L46's, I found another ad that said "Bunch of Electronics...Cheap!" Being a cheap sumbitch, I took a look. Listed were some studio and home electronics and 3 sets of speakers. One, a pair of EV Sentry 100A monitors I didn't know much about (probably good but at $175, I'd pass). Then there were 2 pairs of JBL's, a pair of Control 28's (a weather resistant 8" two-way with Injection molded cabinet which I could use outdoors)

and another set that really piqued my interest. After some quick research, I sent an email indicating my interest. However, after a day and a half, no reply. I figured somebody beat me to it.

But late Saturday night, I received an email saying:
    "All speakers still available, will have to check Monday morning on blemishes on wood veneer JBL's. Call me at the studio after 10am Monday at xxx-xxxx.

He didn't have them at home or with him (to sell directly to anyone else) and they were at a studio still so not likely anyone might get to them early Monday

So, I google the number and find its a production studio in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd. I get the address and plan out the next move. Come Monday am, I'm slowly progressing through downtown L.A. to get to Hollywood when I call at 10am. "Hi, yes they're right here in the studio. They were put into storage about 6 years ago when we remodeled the studio. Yep, work great, a few chips and 1 big chip on the front of one speaker, faded veneer a bit, but still, pretty good speakers. What, you're on the way and will be here in 30 min.? Sure, I'll have them out for you to check out."

Arrive, park, check them out. Pretty nice although the finish is gonna need some work and the chip will be a bit of work. Can't really use the Sentry's so pass on those. How about a package for the Control 28's and the other JBL's? OK! Money exchanged, loaded up, Done!

Here they are in my garage. Can't wait to get going on them, should sound nice.

JBL 4425 12 inch 2 way Studio Monitors with Bi-Radial Horn

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mech98...&.dnm=32e2.jpg

Oh, how much? Let's just say that I talked him DOWN to $125 for both the 28's and the 4425's.

Bart

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by mech986
    Last Friday morning, the day after picking up the JBL L46's, I found another ad that said "Bunch of Electronics...Cheap!" Being a cheap sumbitch, I took a look.

You made me laugh dude!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Anyone know where I could get the Horn Panel / Baffle to replace the chipped one? Like to get it with the original finish, otherwise will have to try to repair the other one. JBLPRO says they don't have any for the 4425.

Yee Haa! THanks Giskard for uploading the photo.

Bart

RIP 2009
    Great score!!

John

dancing-dave
    Man! I have got to move back to Southern Cali ASAP

Yep , Nice one !

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Yep , Nice one !
    Ditto!

JBL Dog
    Killer score!

I've never had an op to listen to the 4425's. I absolutely love those 2214H's! My favorite JBL 12" driver of all-time.

There's a set of them for sale in the local paper, but the seller wants $1800 for the pair.... I wish him luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog
    I absolutely love those 2214H's!
    There's a set of them for sale in the local paper, but the seller wants $1800 for the pair.... I wish him luck!
    That would also be a killer score... for the seller!

Widget

4425's

A while back I picked up a NOS pair of 4425 from a guy in New York. Still sealed in factory boxes . I shelled out $1500.00 for them mostly cause I've always thought they look cool. I would perfer the larger members of the family, but these were there so I bit. They were as stated new in the box. I never really fell in love with their sound , but I like the look. As time goes by they are sounding better. In the room where I keep all my collected audio they go up against L-100's, Jubals, L-300's, L-112's, SVA 1800's, Lancer 101's (Dorians), S38's, and 18Ti's. These are all powered by McIntosh 7270. Perhaps if I play them long enough I'd come to enjoy them more . Who can say.

Thread Information