Thread: Weighing in on a few issues, L220 and B460

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Weighing in on a few issues, L220 and B460

Hi all,
    I have just joined the site today and I am enjoying all of the discussions I have read so far. I'm a longtime JBL fan (My first JBL's were a pair of L100's). I have 4 systems in my home, and all except one use JBL speakers (and subs) exclusively. Tomorrow (March 18) marks the 23rd anniversary of my 1982 purchase of a pair of L220 Oracles. Mine are the "A" version, with the LE14H Low frequency drivers. I had the LE14's reconed in 2002. Also in 2002 I realized at long last my dream of adding a B460 Subwoofer to my main system to compliment the L220's. I felt that no other subwoofer would be as ideal a companion to the L220's. What a great combo! The trio produces tremendously warm, deep bass, great midrange, and beautifully sweet highs due to the L220's 076 Elliptical horn tweeter. I've read some interesting comments on the B460; one stated that the amplifier used with it is important to its performance. This is definitely true. I started out using a Hafler DH-500 (bridged) with decent results. Last year I upgraded the amp to a McIntosh MC252, (used in bridged mode) with superb results. (My L220 mains are driven by a McIntosh MC300 Amplifier). One member said his B460 sounded like a truck driving by outside. Sounds like he may have had some acoustical problems (or an amplifier that had poor control) muddying up the performance. I can assure you that, with proper room treatments and a quality amplifier with adequate power, the B460 will provide deep, effortless performance that few subwoofers can hold a candle to. I won my B460 in an eBay auction, ending my 18 year quest for this great sub, and I then built the system center that I had designed quite a long while prior to finally finding the sub. And yes, I gladly paid the shipping charges to have the B460 shipped to me here in Florida from Utah! (one member suggested that nobody would pay to ship this "obsolete beast" anywhere). Beast? Yes! Obsolete? No way! As most (if not all) of us JBL fans know, these early eighties JBL products are timeless.
    Best regards to all,

Peter Makres
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information