Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L222 and L220 TRIO

Steve Gonzales

L222 and L220 TRIO

I've just put together my last pair of L220's and have taken one last photo of them with their brothers. I've installed LE85's and H92's in them. They are going on a long journey to London, England to a good friend. If you have followed any of my restoration projects, you know that there is a lot of sweat equity in these 3 pairs. I would have never dreamed to have come this far in the past year and a half. I've learned SO MUCH and although it hasn't always been easy, I wouldn't trade the experience for any material thing in this world. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for my past but, I come from a poor family only as far as material wealth is concerned. I have always loved JBL and dreamed of having my own some day. Well that day is HERE!. I've worked SO HARD to get where I'm at and it is driven by pure passion for what I always call "All things JBL". All three of these pairs were headed for the DUMP!. LOOK what you CAN do, if you WANT IT BAD ENOUGH !!!. I traded, bartered, bought and sold and did the finish work myself with only a good attitude and a desire to succeed. I hope that not one member of this forum sees ANY braggadocio in this post, I just want to encourage and share. The L220/222 is what I like, there are many other wonderful JBL models to suit everyone's own unique taste.Thanks for letting share this with you, Sincerely,Steve G

Steve Gonzales

Woof!

I wish I could keep them all!

Impressing
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Obsolete
    Very nice!

Photo Op....

Put a chair in front of them and then have someone take a picture from the side - like the classic photo I use for my avatar. You wouldn't even need a fan - there's enough air-moving power there to blow you off the chair .

jblnut

Great looking speakers, Steve. What'll be your next project? Knowing you, you've probably got something started already.

Ed

Geez talk about a wall of sound!!! Nice idea on the photo!!! Those all look great!!!

Rob

majick47

L220 Family

Looks like a JBL "family" picture, beautiful job Steve. Just think of it as one of the kids leaving home and off to college etc. Someone else will now get a chance to enjoy JBL sound and beautiful cabinets. Keep up the terrific work and I appreciate all your postings re the restorations/modifications. My L200b cabinet "makeover" will have to wait a little longer due to more snow/cold and can't work in the garage till it warms up but will get the components ready.

Steve Gonzales

A little perspective

Thank you all for your comments. I had the good fortune to meet my neighbor's good friend Greg last week and after talking about NASCAR and such, we got onto the subject of my hobbie (we ALL know what that is) and he told me that he has been a CUSTOM CABINET maker for 20some years. He lives 3 blocks from me and has a full shop on his property!. I asked him to come and take a look at my speakers and hear them too. He loved them and the way they sound. We will be doing some interesting things this summer for sure. Here is a picture of the LE5-9 next to the LE85/H92 for a little perspective. Thanks again!, Steve G

They look good!

Be nice if you could keep all of them, what a wall of sound! Explosive wavefronts, yeah!
    scottyj

Wow.............

OFD
    Hey Steve,

I know a place just north of the Washington / BC border where a pair of these beauties could fall off a truck. I'd be so quick that they'd never hit the road, and I'd stay in motion until they were moving great masses of "Steve's air" throughout my neighborhood.

Fantastic job. Not only am I envious of your talent, but I have also found that your love of JBL is infectious, and I am determined to get the very most out of my little L101s - thanks again to your encouragement and support.

BTW, the 3805 goes back Saturday for replacement - OSD is flawed but everything else sounds great.

jtgyn
    G'Day Steve,
    Great job!!!!
    Regards Scott

Damned!

What window glass do you use?

Alex Lancaster
    Hi Steve: Now that Your 3 pr is going, what are You using?

I think it is very interesting that You installed the LE85, I would be concerned with all the tuning changes.

Thread Information