Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Solid State vs. Tube Amps

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    I think they already know that there's no difference, why else would they continue using Ferrite in their drivers?
    DOH!

Apologies gents … just having some fun ….all I’m pointing out is “personal choice” I do and listen to what makes me feel good and I would expect others to do the same … it would be a boring world if we all thought the same and agreed on everything. I admit that I have not listened to every valve amp in the world and I’m sure somewhere out there, there would be some valve amps that would be a good or better compromise than many SS amps but I’m like everyone else making judgments on personal experience and I don’t have a hang up in being proven wrong. The end …. I promise!! And I won’t even consider joining the Alnico Vs Ferritre discussion.

I always find it interesting when somebody lambasts every tube amp in the world and then starts listing the second rate solid state equipment they find acceptable. It's such a joke, really.

Nightbrace
    Is that what I did? That was never my intention.

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    DOH!
    Am I wrong? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=4031

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    I always find it interesting when somebody lambasts every tube amp in the world and then starts listing the second rate solid state equipment they find acceptable. It's such a joke, really.
    How do you spell touche'? Oh, thats right, JBL

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    Is that what I did? That was never my intention.
    No my friend, I don't beleive you did and I don't believe you were wrong and don't believe everything you read around here and most importantly, don't take ANY of it personal.( And please [gently] remind me of this when you see me taking something personal!) We are all full of ourselves sometimes. Or is that full of shit? :dont-know

Nightbrace
    Thanks, I'll be sure to do that, speaking your mind is what makes life worth living. But an opinion without any knowledge of what they are actaully making an opinion about has no merit, nor should it ever. And that's what makes me upset about some people. Don't talk about something like your an expert unless you KNOW what you are talking about. But then again thats just my opinion .

I've gone back and forth between tube and solid state many times. Each always provides a relief from the lacks in the other. And I've never found either entirely suitable for everything all the time. When I get done with The Ultimate Speaker Project I plan to turn my attention to the electronics, beginning along the lines of Ian's PASS labs projects.

Meanwhile I have both tube and solid state. I also find that my ability to find either one usable depends a lot on the other elements in the chain of reproduction, so when I'm putting a system together I don't look for perfection along a linear trail always tending upward; rather I'm looking for a balance that works well enough.

I also take regular refresher courses in live music. Recently I heard the Renaissance orchestra and the Monteverdi Choir doing Mozart's Requiem and Great Mass in C minor. The next day I put some classical on my tube/vinyl setup that I mostly find exquisite, and I couldn't listen to it. It's all a matter of point of reference and balance, in my view, and I don't see any purpose in being doctrinaire about it. I just don't respond well to somebody saying all people who like tube amps are deluded by con artist entrepeneurs selling a certain species of distortion and he's Mr. Clear Thinking Clear Ears always already with all the science and technology on his side.

My response may have been a little unkind, for which I apologize. I happen to own an MPX300, for example, and I think it is very good for what I use it for, basically what it is designed for, but I would never consider it a superior choice for hi fi. There are many, many other amps, both tube and solid state, that are clearly better for that purpose.

David

the system in my living room is for reproducing recorded music. as such, i am looking for the equipment that engages me in the music the most.

after using a pretty decent SS amp for some time it was clear to me that my system sounded better with tube power.

my tube amps are not esoteric or fancy, just industrial grade solidly built 1950's professional level equipment. designed to work day in and day out. i prefer to leave my gear on unless it will be unused for some days, so the fact that they were designed to be on all the time is a plus. tube life has been excellent.

i havn't been able to afford a decent tube pre to see if that would work better than my old Naim audio SS pre, but given the choice i'd rather be using a SS pre than SS power with my JBL's.

transient response from my JBL's did not suffer one bit by using tube power. i am very keenly aware of transients, as a musician and sound recording professional. transients are a huge factor in how believable the sound is. it's why i love horn loaded systems as much as i do. a speaker system can have flat response 20-20 but if it has poor transient response it won't sound like anything resembling a live performance. it will always sound removed and background. a speaker system with incredible transient response but a response curve that is not flat will still sound much more lifelike. the world is not flat. our systems don't need to be either.

i am personally more concerned with having a system that provides a musically satisfying experience than being ruler flat, or put together to the spec's of some theory. finding components that match musically is what matters, whether they are SS or tube. analog or digital. since everyones system (including their ears) is different, there can be no absolutes in this regard.
    C40/N400/150-4C/375/2397/2405/D123 (rear) + D208 - LE8T

Thread Information