Thread: LE5-5 and LE5-12

LE5-5 and LE5-12

I know people have had debated regarding the LE5 variations, but I picked up a pair of LE5-5's and was going to try them in place of the le5-12's in my l150a's. Am I going to be able to hear a difference?

RIP 2009
    The biggest difference you'll probably hear is they're 3dB more efficient - 'should be a little stronger in the midrange for the same level control positions.

John

Quote Originally Posted by evans224
    I know people have had debated regarding the LE5 variations, but I picked up a pair of LE5-5's and was going to try them in place of the le5-12's in my l150a's. Am I going to be able to hear a difference?
    Yes, you will hear a difference. Mostly in the high side of mid pass band. There will be a larger overlap of the mid and tweeter and the result is not "better" to my ears.

David F

Yes, the LE5-5 PEAKS OUT at a 3 dB higher level than the max level of the LE5-12... but only because of the rising response at high frequencies that David alludes to.

The LE5-5, in average, is only about 1 to 1.5 dB more efficient, due to the flat-wire wound coil, as opposed to the round-wire voice coil in the LE5-12. The rest of the rise, is because of the inverted paper dustcap, mostly...

But yes, it's quite different... and I have to agree with David, that I too don't like to substitute it for the LE5-12, unless the crossover is modified to account for the difference in response shape...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information