Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L150 shipping advice?

RIP 2009

L150 shipping advice?

I've been trying to figure the best way for packing a pair of L150's for shipping accross the country to a forum member here. My biggest concern is obviously how to protect the fronts, in addition to packing them securely enough so that they could even rest on the fronts, (neither UPS or FedEx will guarantee they won't get laid this way, regardless of what warnings might be posted on the packages). I'm really having a hard time coming up with something - does anyone know how JBL initially packed them for shipping? For that matter, how did they pack ANY of their cabs with the extended grilles for shipping? Is an independent trucking company the way to go?

Thanks for any suggestions!

John

L150 original shipping + ideas

Grilles were shipped in separate boxes. L150A's (assuming L150's also) were
    shipped in boxes ~2" extra in every dimension (I can go measure if it's important)
    and used both cut-to-fit cardboard padding on either end as well as styrofoam
    "bumpers" that are the full opening dimension on the ends, and have inset cutouts
    for the exact ungrilled (mmm bbq) er, L150 dimension... nice snug fit. Almost forgot...
    big plastic baggies go on before the bumpers...

If I was shipping x-country, I'd still try to double box em, lay them down, wrap in
    plastic & strap to a pallet. Motor freight makes sense.

Cheers,

-grumpy

Grumpy's instructions are good. Since you live nearby, I will be more specific with what I would get and do. I would get wardrobe boxes, 20 X 19 3/4 X 45 inches. About $12.00 each. I get them at Santa Rosa Custom Packaging, look them up, I think that they are on Airway drive. Its near UPS in northern Santa Rosa. These are double wall boxes, very sturdy.
    Also, get styrofoam insulation from Home Depot, near the freeway. They have 4 X 8 sheets two inches thick for about $15.00. each.
    I would start by cutting out eight pieces of styrofoam that fit into the ends of the boxes. Measure the inside dimension of the boxes, use a felt tip marker to draw lines on the styrofoam on both sides, then make a cut with utility knife on both sides, then snap it on the cuts like drywall. Then lay one piece on top of a speaker, centered, without grille in place. Trace the outline of the speaker with a felt tip marker. Then cut out the center where outlined. Use a steak knife. This is messy, do it outside if you can. Cut three more using the first as the pattern. Glue the four cut out pieces to the four uncut pieces with Silicone RTV adhesive. I use a big tube of RTV in a caulk gun. Dont be stingy with the RTV. These make nice end caps. Put one in the bottom, then the speaker, then another end cap. A piece of thin plywood or masonite in the ends of the the boxes, same size as the styrofoam, can also be used for reinforcement.
    With the speakers and end caps in the box, fold the box and cut the end flaps to the right height.

RIP 2009
    Don - thanks for the detailed recommendations! I'll look into this. Now I just need to come up with a way to pack the grills. 'Shouldn't be too hard...

John

The shipping charges for the dimensions on that size box can hurt! If you have a large airport near you try Forward Air ( http://www.forwardair.com/locations/falocations.htm ). I got a pallet from a local home depot and built with 2 X 4s and plywood, a crate for a pair of L65ss. The actuall shipping cost was about $125. I used a lot of 1' thick styrafoam also. The buyer was pissed because he had to use a screw gun and a lot of time to disassemble but they arrived without a nick.

RIP 2009
    Thanks Audiobeer - I'll look into this. One problem is that I have to borrow a truck to move these around, and the airport is a long way from here...

John

gassy
    Audiobeer(or anyone),

Do you know if the Forward Air(or any freight shipper, in your case, near an airport) would have metal strapping so that, if a shipper had individual boxes ready to strap down to a pallet, they would strap the customer's boxes to the pallet for him? Or did you notice if any of this was available while you were there? Is it common for freight shipping docks to have strapping for customer use? If so, johnaec could have his boxes ready for a pallet and then have the shipper secure the boxes to a pallet with metal strapping without having to screw everything down like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    The shipping charges for the dimensions on that size box can hurt! If you have a large airport near you try Forward Air ( http://www.forwardair.com/locations/falocations.htm ). I got a pallet from a local home depot and built with 2 X 4s and plywood, a crate for a pair of L65ss. The actuall shipping cost was about $125. I used a lot of 1' thick styrafoam also. The buyer was pissed because he had to use a screw gun and a lot of time to disassemble but they arrived without a nick.

It would have to arrive there strapped down. They will not do any packaging or strapping for you. However one of the employees might as sort of a side job. It would be best to just call the one in your area.

gassy
    Maybe someone missed this thread that could have some valuable input on the subject.

gassy
    Still no new ideas for shipping these speakers?

RIP 2009
    I'm going to try tracking down Don C.'s suggestions today.

John

gassy
    Yes, I think Grumpy & Don C's suggestions will have them about as safe as you can get them. I just wonder about a little more protection for the grille-less front of the speaker. Should you not possibly pad nearly the same way for the front to protect the speakers, or will they be alright on a pallet with the speakers facing down? Overkill?

And I don't know why you can't use the same idea for the grilles, except lay them down on the styrofoam, then outline the perimeter, and glue those together. Strategic bumpers(if any spots exist on the cloth side?) should then keep them from moving inside the boxes.

RIP 2009
    I didn't get to the box or styrofoam today but yes, I believe the fronts would also get stryofoam protection to a certain degree. I still need to work out the grill packing...

For some reason I just really seem to have been swamped the last couple weeks...

John

gassy
    Yep, seems just when you think you're going to have some time is when it fails to happen! And I think that taking time to do this would keep these safe in shipment, as opposed to rushing to get it done resulting in disaster!

Dynacoman
    Be careful with those grills when packing. I had a pr. of 150's shipped to me and half the metal standoffs on the rails were busted off when I got them.

Jim

Thread Information