Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the " Vanderhorn "

JBLGUY

Introducing the " Vanderhorn "

These sound very nice with a nice tight base note.

The " Vanderhorn "

Attached Images Attached Images  

JBLGUY
    We make these for 10, 12, 15in drivers. Sometimes with co-axial or with tweeters and horns

paragon

Horn

Wow, very nice speaker. Looks like an angel.
    Dimensions (15"), low response ?

Eckhard

Maron Horonzakz
    Explain the horn concept.

WOW nice idea. What exactly are we looking at?? Tannoy?? How big??

Rob

JBLGUY
    This is a back loaded horn with a B & C coaxial driver. There is a large composite structure behind the woofer. It is made from Sand and resin and is basically like concrete. It actually looks like a very large boob. There is two slots at the bottom of the back. The horn path is from behind the driver down the front and out the back. It then travels up the wall and exits at the top. It uses the wall as the final path of the horn. It must be in a corner to achieve the lower frequency's. It is fairly useable down to 22 hz. We are still playing with differant driver combo's. One guy who came to see some corner horns for sale saw the 10 inch model and was blown away at how they sounded. He bought the smaller Vanderhorns instead of the corner cabinets. We were surprised he wanted these instead...but each to his own.

I will get better pic's and post them

Tell me, is that sand and resin composite proprietary or can you tell me the make-up. I am in the process of trying to invent something for under my speakers to level the floor and isolate at the same time. Concrete has been an idea as well as sand,,, but this composite sounds very interesting .

Thanks - Bernard

Vanderhorn tested.

Thanks Jbl Guy for starting this thread. I guess it's time to add the test results for this "Angel" as paragon and my wife call it. Sorry JBLGuy for the late responce but better late than never "eh"!! Besides you know I got a little side tracked the last few years. The whole delema of rear loaded verses front loaded is revealed finally. anyway here are some tests you guys can look at. Drivers Are BMS 15c682 and B&C 15cx40

Cheers Andrew

Ps Any Urei 813 monitors kicking around , I tried a 604e bass was great but was honked at 3000.

More Tests, also for comparison is a test of the same driver in a 7 CU ft Ported box in last post.
    I wish JBL still made a 15in monitor
    Andrew

OK moderators, with all the guff some of us have received lately, why isn't this in some other forum, (i.e., off topic or DIY)???

BTW, the cabinets are beautiful!

Thanks Todalin, sorry for the placement. just looking for a Urei 15" or JBL coaxial for compare, LONG LIVE JBL.
    Andrew

There was nothing wrong with your placement... you originally posted this before we had specific slots for Lansing and non-lansing projects etc. Todd was referring to some posts he and others have made that wandered off topic and they caught a bit of verbal grief for it. I don't think it was really that big of a deal, but sometimes things seem bigger than they are.

We're all still sorting it out.

Your deigns on this thread and others are quite interesting by the way...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Todd was referring to some posts he and others have made that wandered off topic and they caught a bit of verbal grief for it. I don't think it was really that big of a deal, but sometimes things seem bigger than they are.
    Syntax alert!

Dammit, Widget!! If you aren't more careful, Todd and others will think you think them small. That would cost you a bunch of pm's!!

We are all full-sized out here.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Take a look at the Jeff Markwart 604 crossover design if you still have the driver.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/
    That was supposed to cure much of the ills of that driver.
    I would think it would be perfect in that cabinet, do you have a drawing of the crossection you could post? That looks beautiful.
    I have a Cinaudagraph full range 15 you could try, but it is very vintage, I think you are looking for something more recent and obtainable.
    Harry

Thanks guys I would like to try some other drivers for sure. I have a file with a direct comparison to the "lengend" that I will post as this is not a "K" site, right?? I don't mean to challenge but this thing seems to be breathing on the Mighty K. I still can do some more crosover improvement to bring up the mid range but the dip at 114hz seems to change as you test farther away. I think this is the cancelation from rear to front wave fronts. the dip also changes in frequency as you test farther away 12ft vs 3 ft. but the test at 2 in above the horn {behind} shows a very smooth bass. The time line and decay is also very much faster than the K horn.
    I have a pic of the 604 too. I'm shure it would be no problem to fix the crossover. Thanks for the link. K horn is red in the gragh
    Andrew

Thread Information