Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: That's not fair!

jandregg
    And now San Francisco has banned outdoor smoking. Pretty soon there will be a tax on breathing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jandregg
    And now San Francisco has banned outdoor smoking.
    No it hasn't!

They have proposed that smoking not be permitted in a few specified public outdoor places. I doubt it will go through, but even if it does there will still be great numbers of people smoking in the doorways to their offices on sidewalks all over town.

And we're also considering charging 17¢ each (paper OR plastic) for grocery bags.

Reviling this as a "regressive" tax proposal, dog owners are irate.

Here in the East Bay, we are hoarding them for resale later at 10¢ apiece in the Safeway parking lot and public parks.

"Ken I bum a baggie?"

All for a worthy cause, of course....

ya know what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    There is no way that a company policy like that would hold up in court. However fighting crap like that in court is too big for the individual, I would expect the ACLU would defend the rights of the smokers.

Personally I am sooo happy that people are no longer allowed to smoke in public places here in California. When traveling outside of the state I am reminded of how it used to be. To come home from a restaurant or bar and have my clothes and hair smell like an ash tray. A very close friend is fighting for her life due to lung cancer. She never smoked a day in her life but her father did while she was growing up and while working in an office in the 80's and 90's she was again subjected to second hand smoke. She is only 42 and is very sick. That said the direction we are headed is to eventually make cigarettes illegal. That would be as stupid as prohibition or the current drug policies.

As to the idea that "smokers are dying off"... well Darwin, it takes millennia for evolutionary change.
    You know that IF they ever did make cigarettes ILLEGAL, that would make the organized crime so happy! Prohibition all over again! Prohibition never stopped anybody from selling, buying or drinking booze!

Look at illegal drugs! People know the chances they take selling, buying and using illegal drugs! If anything, I think the recreational drug market is bigger because they are illegal. The profit margin is certainly extremely high, so high that many are willing to risk their freedom and their lives to earn this type of money!

Then, what about all the hundreds of millions of dollars the U.S. Govt absolutely wastes on a war on drugs that I wonder if it really exists, as it doesnt seem like their is any shortage of illicit drug supply. What is the govt actually stopping?

And the insurance companies will not stop anyone who really wants to smoke tobacco from smoking tobacco! The people that lose their jobs, will get other jobs, and keep smoking!

As for smoking in public places, and restaurants, well, people that wish do have a right to have dinner and drink in smoke free enviroments! Youll just never stop all smoking in every place!

But, to me, there is a far more sinister evil lurking behind things like companies firing people who smoke outside the job! Seems more like preconditioning for things to come, like Big Brother! Our Govt, our democracy, is taking over, and taking all control, and stepping into our personal lives!

By the way, if they want to eradicate smoking tobacco products, or make smoking illegal, why arent they engaging in making the growing and production, and sale of tobacco products illegal! We shouldnt smoke it, but Phillip Morris can make it and advertise it, and sell it?
    scottyj

On a separate side note. A few years ago we worked for a company that was developing a smokeless cigarette for Philip Morris. It was actually a specially developed cigarette that can only be used in a handheld burner. The cigarette does not stay lit and is only ignited as long as the cigarette is being drawn on.

After we had made a few of these prototypes, I was at a meeting held in a typical conference room, and several executives were smoking using these devices. I was amazed at how effective they were. I HATE the smell of burning cigarettes. In the conference room the only odor was like the smell of toasted bread. There was no visible smoke in the air. They produced a number of these units and test marketed them. Since we haven't heard any more about them I guess the test market failed.

It is too bad, because it did effectively deal with the secondhand smoke issues. The smokers will still get lung cancer or emphysema at the same rate, but that is their decision and at least they would only be affecting their own health.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    I have never smoked a cigerret in my life. & I believe Im older than every one on this site BUT my mother, father, grandfather, aunt, cousen. all died from ciggeret related disease,s....Like I said I never smoked a ciggeret but I did smoke a few puffs on a cigar strange the smell of a fresh cigar smells sweet . but the taste is all together different. I assume a ciggeret is the same. I like the tast of SCOTCH but have naver tasted any other wiskey. Im not a prude just prefer a good wine. Does second hand smoke smell/taste like a ciggeret?

OFD

The height of hypocracy...

Yeah, the governments will do high priced anti-smoking campaigns, while holding their nicotine laced breath, in the hope that no one will really listen because of the monstrous loss in tax revenue generated by smokers.

The rest of you non-smokers will have to pick up the bill when it really happens. I have done my bit to limit my smoking to designated areas, and don't smoke in my own home (Febreze costs too much).

Just a thought. Why not put all the cigarette tax revenue towards treatment of all proven cigarette related illness?

Quote from OFD

"Just a thought. Why not put all the cigarette tax revenue towards treatment of all proven cigarette related illness?"

Because,like every other tax-It ends up lineing the fat cats pocket rather than going towards its original intended destination.

Oldmics

Thread Information