Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L110 Grill restoration

Steve Gonzales

Once you've got the material glued fron 45 to 45, restretch the cloth will a gentle tug to avoid "tweeking" the frame out of square. Glue the cloth the same way as the other end.

Steve Gonzales

Now you should see it coming together. The material might look like it is too loose but when you do the sides, it will all come together. If you make a mistake, try it again, it's not hard.

Steve Gonzales

Cut the material at a 45 degree angle at the corners after the first two ends are glued and cut the sides BEFORE they are to be glued.

Steve Gonzales

Like so..

Steve Gonzales

The cut lines on the cloth seem a little sloppy but you will see that it doesn't matter later. Once you get the sides glued down, you will have little open spots at the 45's. stick the glue gun into these spots and give them a little glue and pinch them close

Steve Gonzales

Pinch it !

Steve Gonzales

What you are left with is a little dog ear. Simply cut this off

Steve Gonzales

Like so

Steve Gonzales

Now carefully trim the excess material off the frame and place your template to locate the emblem, punch the hole, install the emblem.

Steve Gonzales

I cleaned the outer plastic frame but plan to use the new spray paint for plastic on them before final assembly but here is what it looks like so far. I hope this helps someone. I know there may be other methods and I'd like to hear them. This grill was kind of tough because of the way it is constructed, but once I figured it out, it was really a straight forward process that I'm sure you can duplicate. I'm happy with the results. Talk to ya later, Steve G

Alex Lancaster
    Steve: Fortunately You have the know-how, patience and tools, not all of us do, congrats.

Hey, that is a bloody thumb!

Keep on.

Steve Gonzales

Don't underestimate yourself!

I think if you are careful and CARE about doing this, you can!. The tools are less than $20.00. I bought the gluegun at the 99 cent store!. Thank you for the compliment. I was intimidated before every one of my projects but after thinking about my plan of attack, doing some research and going slowly, they were pretty easy!.

PS. Yes that is a bloody thumb. No pain, No gain

Very nice work. And so well documented. You impress as always.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

2pair
    I started this exact project a couple of days ago. I used the back of a snap-off blade knife (boxcutter?) to do the prying and that seemed to work well (no blood let). I may have had it a little easier though because I had a broken corner of the outer frame I was repairing so I had access to the inside there to get it started. I used model glue to fix this. It seems to have worked well so far, but then I still have the clamps on. I was planning to repaint them both with model paint, flat black (can you guess I make models...)
    I never thought to make a template for the emblem location but I will when I do the second one, or at least take measurements..
    I was wondering if hot glue would work for the final assembly, and it seems that it will!

Thanks for the documentation!

Nice Work Steve

I do love the pictures.

And thanks for taking the time to document all your efforts - it's most appreciated .

Earl K

Thread Information