Thread: JBL L56 118H surrounds--which one?

JBL L56 118H surrounds--which one?

Hi all. I have a pair of JBL L56s that have the original oddball rubber(?) surrounds that need replacing. I also have some 125As and 127Hs that I'll be refoaming too. I know the go-to guy for surrounds is Rick Cobb, as I've ordered from him before for other speakers. I noticed that he sells a set of surrounds that lists as fitting all three of these woofers (and others too). But when I measured the 118s, the cones are a solid 1/4" wider (7.625" vs 7.875"). Are they going to fit without mods (splicing, stretching, etc.)? And are standard foams still considered the best option for the L56/118H? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Any suggestions? I’ve searched all the usual online sellers, and no one has a surround that fits the 7-7/8” diameter white cones in these L56s. They’re all smaller.

I used the standard foam 10" units when I did mine years ago. Same for the 8" in the L46. They seemed to work just fine.

Have you tried an email to Rick? He's normally very responsive and has always offered expert guidance: Rick Cobb <[email protected]>
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Have you tried an email to Rick? He's normally very responsive and has always offered expert guidance: Rick Cobb
    Yes, I actually did contact him. He’s very helpful, as always. And he said that he has occasionally run into some of the L56 woofers that have the larger diameter cone, but he doesn’t have anything specific for that speaker. It seems as my only option may be to try and find someone that sells one closest to that diameter and then stretch them out a bit and see how they fit. One of the sellers I came across while searching has one that’s 7.75 inches, and that’s the closest to being the correct size. But they were also the most expensive. They were double the money, like almost 40 bucks. Can’t remember which seller it was off the top of my head right now. Hate to waste the time and money if that doesn’t work.

L56

I have been refoaming woofers as a side hobby for 17 years. Evidently do exceptional work, as all my business is from referrals and a Craigslist ad. Been dealing with Rick since the start. Did he say his foams would work? Without cut/splicing? Since the foams attach on the back of the woofers, I have a trick that will work to compensate for the 1/4 inch and work perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Have you tried an email to Rick? He's normally very responsive and has always offered expert guidance: Rick Cobb
    He just said that he had come across them in the past and that he doesn’t have a parts source for 7.875-inch cones.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    I have a trick that will work to compensate for the 1/4 inch and work perfectly
    Do tell!

You have a PM

Thread Information