Thread: Portable Audio What do you use?

Portable Audio What do you use?

Out of curiosity how many of you use portable players or your phone?

I have been using an I-Pod you years. Take it everywhere and enjoy having my music with me.

What type of headphones? In ear, over ear wired or blue tooth?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Out of curiosity how many of you use portable players or your phone?

I have been using an I-Pod for years. Take it everywhere and enjoy having my music with me.

What type of headphones? In ear, over ear wired or blue tooth?

Rob
    I've ripped all my CDs and Flac files to Apple Lossless format, and all are in iTunes on an external drive tied to my recently purchased Mac Studio M1 Max - so I can stream them around the house or load them on our iPhones. Emma'sgot an iPhone 13 Pro that can hold music, but she's got my old iPod and uses that in her 2000 Honda Civic SI (formerly my car) with the correct mobil dock for it. I use my iPhone 13 Pro in my 2012 Honda Fit sport - its got a USB port in the factory car radio and I can control volume and go forward or back in a playlist from steering wheel buttons.
    Headphones? Almost never - tho I do have a pair of Sony digital headphones at my (home) desk that cover my ears, but I rarely use them.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

My only portable system is attached to a car.

Widget

My first iPod ever was a Classic 160GB. I loved it so much that when Apple dropped it, the next day I went looking for new ones as backup. That was years ago and the two I found are still in their original boxes, never opened. I think the original got scared of being replaced so it kept working. All lossless files but I seldom use it anywhere other than the car or when traveling to test a system of some kind. It plugs in nicely to a Crown D75A for speaker testing. I have either USB or Apple 13-pin access on nearly all my systems if I want to use the iPod there, I just usually don't. I did have to learn a new skill when I recently put a new battery in it. As I recall, battery was under $20 and tools were another ten-or-so. Next up is to learn battery replacement in my iPhone 12-Mini.

I never use Bluetooth headphones. I plug one of several Sennheisers in directly, or the B&Ws that BMW gave me years ago at a product launch. One thing I hate about the newer phones is the dongle required to simply plug-in headphones.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I purchased a new car and lost all connectivity to my I-pods! I was not happy although I did have the option to use USB sticks that had to be formatted as FAT32. It could not read any other format.

So I bit the bullet and upgraded to a new Sony Walkman. It has blue tooth and works great in the car. Can add an SD card to expand memory. Sony offers an interface similar to I tunes.

I tried and then deleted. You can set the USB for Power only, File Transfer and USB dac. Much easier to just drop and drag files in Windows. The player builds it's own Library.

Will continue to use the I-pod's as is and not add new music to them just keep the Walkman Updated and USB sticks in the car.

Rob :}
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I purchased a new car and lost all connectivity to my I-pods! I was not happy although I did have the option to use USB sticks that had to be formatted as FAT32. It could not read any other format.

So I bit the bullet and upgraded to a new Sony Walkman. It has blue tooth and works great in the car. Can add an SD card to expand memory. Sony offers an interface similar to I tunes.

I tried and then deleted. You can set the USB for Power only, File Transfer and USB dac. Much easier to just drop and drag files in Windows. The player builds it's own Library.

Will continue to use the I-pod's as is and not add new music to them just keep the Walkman Updated and USB sticks in the car.

I just stream Tidal through my car via Wi-Fi.
    Interestingly playlists that I have created in Roon with content from my NAS pop up in Tidal's suggested playlists... obviously Roon shares my personal data with Tidal. C

What a creepy but convenient world we live in.

Widget

Most likely because of this thread:
    I used my original iPod Classic 160GB "Last" version today while working on a much older car in the garage. Had it plugged-in to some Harman boom-box that I'd won years ago for selling some absurd number of H/K systems in new BMWs. It's a GO+Play but the biggest one with remote, front and rear speakers, and it is surprisingly hi-fi! I always told myself it must have been a JBL design. It will certainly fill a garage. Of course it uses a 30-pin Apple connector—but that's what I had! Let it run for a couple of hours on Genius Playlist mode. Good for passing time while resurrecting a 50-year-old BMW that has been badly stored for nearly 20-years. Polishing chrome a few square-inches at a time!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

We use iPods 95% of the time, 160GB classics from the last generation, I think. The remainder of the time my fiancée streams from her phone. Headphones? Marshall Monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    My first iPod ever was a Classic 160GB. I loved it so much that when Apple dropped it, the next day I went looking for new ones as backup. That was years ago and the two I found are still in their original boxes, never opened...
    Any chance you'd like to sell one of those 160GB's? The one my fiancée uses has a bum headphone jack..

That's such a bummer! I'm noticing that most new electronics no longer support iPods.. All of my music is already on iTunes though, so what non-iPod interfaces with iTunes like an iPod?

What non-iPod allows you to bypass it's internal DAC?

I originally got Emma this "Altec Lansing" iPod boombox kinda thing for her desk at church, but she usually works from home now, except Sundays, of course.
    She has recently taken to using it in the kitchen when she fixes dinner. Its got a built in dock to charge her iPod, and a remote control that she doesn't really use ...
    The sound is actually pretty good for a boom box kinda thing.
    But - she can't plug her iPhone 13 Pro with the lightning connector into it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I originally got Emma this "Altec Lansing" iPod boombox kinda thing for her desk at church, but she usually works from home now, except Sundays, of course.
    She has recently taken to using it in the kitchen when she fixes dinner. Its got a built in dock to charge her iPod, and a remote control that she doesn't really use ...
    The sound is actually pretty good for a boom box kinda thing.
    But - she can't plug her iPhone 13 Pro with the lightning connector into it
    I know you would know, but won't something like this work? That's what I use to put my phone in the TEAC CD player drawer?

I know you would know, but won't something like this work? That's what I use to put my phone in the TEAC CD player drawer?
    I found that image on a $9 device on Amazon and it has this warning -
    [Please Note]: Easily charge and synchronize data, audio and video output or input is not supported. This means that it cannot play music,
    and cannot be used with speakers and deliver sound. Therefore, you cannot play music or use streaming services through the docking station.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Lig...dp/B09QPH2GN3/

Then again, I found a $40 cable that doesn't have that disclaimer, and seems to have the correct chip for the interface to actually work and play audio:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Cer...dp/B09TSHLG8K/
    But, she's got the iPod and it works fine with the Lansing gadget as is - so there's no need to spend money for a $40 adapter for her iphone
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yes, that photo was from Amazon. But the ones I have look just like that and say:

Designed by Apple in California
    Assembled in China Model A1468

Works perfectly. Don't know if they still offer it.

Yes, that photo was from Amazon. But the ones I have look just like that and say:

Designed by Apple in California
    Assembled in China Model A1468

Works perfectly. Don't know if they still offer it.
    Excellent - looks like the Apple A1468 adapters are available used for $20 and up ...
    Just got one for $15 off eBay.
    Thanks Phil!

Thread Information