Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recone kit JBL 2205A or similar

Recone kit JBL 2205A or similar

I have a pair of old JBL 2205A, and it's hard to find the recone kit. My question is, is there a similar JBL recone kit that would fit the 2205A, such as the 2235 or similar.

Here you go, 2235 is a go several others listed

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Here you go, 2235 is a go several others listedRob
    Thanks If I understood it correctly, all the recone kits below should fit my 15" 2205A frame. E130, (D130H), K130 (D130), K140 (E140), 136A/H, 2205A/B/C/H/J, 2225H/J, 2231A/H, 2234H, 2235H

That's correct. Just to highlight the note about the E-130/E-140 using a higher flux density magnet structure at the bottom of the table. Not that you would use those kit's. Check with your local authorized JBL support for availability.

Depending on how hard the speakers have been driven you might want to verify flux density in the gap as part of your re-cone Alnico's can demagnetize if over powered.

If the flux is low it will effect the response in line with the highlighted note.

Unfortunately almost, if not all of those kits are NLA. They have run 2234/2235 years back if you can find them.

Good Luck!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    That's correct. Just to highlight the note about the E-130/E-140 using a higher flux density magnet structure at the bottom of the table. Not that you would use those kit's. Check with your local authorized JBL support for availability.Depending on how hard the speakers have been driven you might want to verify flux density in the gap as part of your re-cone Alnico's can demagnetize if over powered. If the flux is low it will effect the response in line with the highlighted note.Unfortunately almost, if not all of those kits are NLA. They have run 2234/2235 years back if you can find them.Good Luck! Rob
    I don't know which one to choose, so I ask which recone kit you would choose here on the forum for a pair of old 2205a baskets. I think of recone kit jbl 2225h or 2235h (without mass ring)What is your first choice?

I would choose 2234 which is 2235 without the mass ring. Good bass and nice mids.

2225 vs 2234/5?? ... your intended use (2225 being more similar to a 2205 in terms of typical use for sound reinforcement, where 2234/5 sees more use in sound monitoring or 'hifi'). Neither choice is 'wrong'.
    Availability of recone kits may also drive you toward one or the other, if you just want to have a pair of working drivers and the usage plan can follow

The biggest issue is going to be what's available so see what you can find and as said above decide how you want to use the driver.

Rob

One last question, I'm looking at the pictures, the picture on the left is the JBL 2225H recone kit and on the right is the JBL 2235H. If you look at the Voice coil pictures, one is higher than the other. Does it matter and is there anything special I need to think about when I mount the recone kit
    Attached Images Attached Images  

peppes,

BTW, looking at your kits picture.

My all original 2205H woofers appear to have a little more cone ridges than your left 2225H recone. Maybe a couple more. The last ridge on the 2205H cone, towards the frame, seems about 1/2" away from the surround.

This would mean the number of 2205H cone ridges is closer to that of the 2235 kit, though different surrounds.

It might have to do with the 2205H having lower resonance (Fs 30 hz) than the 2225 (Fs 40 hz), the former may require additional cone rigidity due to the potentially lower bass capability, while both have the same Mms.

Richard