Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AK member can't get registered on LH. Any help?

New AK member can't get registered on LH. Any help?

A new AK member just contacted me in a PM. Seems we've known each other for years through the BMW Club and he has two pair original L100s he's owned since '74 and would like to become a member here but can't seem to accomplish that. Any issues? He may be using the handle "Ron Man".

Any help I can pass along to him would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Almost 2 years ago AK took over the reins of LHS. During the transfer process many features of the Forum were broken and remain broken. One of them is the ability for new members to join LHS. Until someone in charge sorts out the backend of LHS no new members can join.

Widget

Why, I've never been part of an exclusive club before, I can see why people like it. At least until everyone else dies off, then not so much. :-D

What can be done by whom to resolve this situation?

What is the problem, can it be solved with money?
    If that is the problem, could we start a collection among the members?

The forum has so much good information that should be protected for the future.

And we need new members.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    What can be done by whom to resolve this situation?

What is the problem, can it be solved with money?
    I have no idea.

The forum has so much good information that should be protected for the future.
    Which is how we got here. Don McRitchie was the sole owner and I was afraid that if his health failed the site would vanish when the various software and site registration fees weren't paid. I asked Don to reach out to AK thinking they were large and stable enough to preserve LHS. (So far it hasn't been a great ride.)

And we need new members.
    Agree 100%

Widget

I have emailed the owners asking what the plans are or timeline is to get things fixed with the existing software or possibly moving the platform over to a newer software. The site now is running vBulletin 4 and the latest is up to generation 6.

Thanks Luther!

Widget

I suspect one thing that might help is some volunteer mods to catch the scammers and spammers that will arrive once the new member registrations get turned back on.
    Its seems there are always folks on the internet trying to monetize their time and any resources they find, and I know for coders, many eyes help finds the bugs ...
    I know it takes a few of us to help keep AK clean of them, and keep the quality up.
    Just a thought ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Currently Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5
    The $180 price of a software upgrade is not the full cost of upgrading a site, especially with a site as heavily customized as the Lansing Forum.

Detailed discussion and specifics is not appropriate in wide open web forums like this ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I am aware of that and the relationship the site had with John Nebel who l’ve met.

In addition when the site was more fluid members donated considerable amounts of money. Those donations and income were made public. The older membership have grown to believe coming here is for free. The cost has always been there. The notion that any of it is free including diy is a farce.

Successful sustainable forums are now a business funded from revenue channels that include a shop selling diy kits, parts, advertising and market place fees. They are supported by a loyal teams of volunteers. It’s not a club for those who joined in the beginning. Lurkers from all over the world visit these boards more frequently than the existing members. Go figure.

Hello All;

I really hate to be critical. On occasion I will follow a thread over to AK. If using a handheld device, there is more add content than forum content on the screen. One with no way to click out of and another with an X to dismiss the add, that rarely if ever works and often one on the left side. You’re stuck with at least one of three if not two, all the time.

It looks like Frito’s big screen on Idiocracy. I have never spent more than a minute on AK before I bail out.

Yeah I know, I can always ask for my money back. It’s free and someone has to pay for it. I get it. But, I simply cannot tolerate a site like that and don’t.

There are adds on DIY Audio, but they are not nearly as obtrusive as AK.

If we are waiting for the creator, owner and or maintenance group of AK to save us, well, I believe that it is the end of another era.

I have no idea. What does it cost to operate a site like LH? It seems AK is not even interested in trying to monetize LH much less work on it.

If AK makes this a dumpster site, that will be a damn shame. If they leave it to die, that will be nearly as bad but at least it would die with some dignity.

Seriously, what can be done at this point? I would really like to know what the options are.

Thanks all. For all the good you have all done.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hello Barry

WRT adds couldn't agree more I have the same issue on AK .

Don't like the format. We will see what happens.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Just a FYI, no flames intended. I am not in Texas so I have no personal behind the scenes knowledge of the AK owners, but I know Mr Grumpy had a massive stroke about a year or so back and has been in recovery for that for quite a while. He had difficulties walking and speech aphasia was another issue. As you might imagine, that has been his and Mrs Grumpy's priority for the last year or so, but I gather there has been some improvement since then - tho I don't think he's out of the woods yet. I just gather the timing of his health crisis hasn't been in our favor. (Probably not in his favor either!)

But as I've seen it, and as folks recently discussed here, we understand that the Lansing Forum has been broken for quite a while before the Grumpys stepped in to help out.

And just as I contributed money here (to Bo, mostly) when I sold the JBL systems I bought and fixed up from knowledge here, I also subscribed to AK ($25/yr, pretty cheap for such an active site) when I joined their site to learn about tubes and other things discussed there, so as an AK subscriber I am not swamped with ads on those pages. I don't think there are plans to put ads on the Lansing site, so maybe we need a subscription fee to help fund the Lansing site, tho Audiophiles can be pretty frugal (stingy) when it comes to things that are not actual audio gear or media. And non-subscribers can be pretty demanding when they want to argue things (or buy and sell things).

And yes, AK is a much different site than the Lansing Forum, both in design and content. Some discussion should occur on how to structure and arrange the Lansing site going forward, as a reference Library and as a forum. Both sections need updating!

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hello All;

I really hate to be critical. On occasion I will follow a thread over to AK. If using a handheld device, there is more add content than forum content on the screen. One with no way to click out of and another with an X to dismiss the add, that rarely if ever works and often one on the left side. You’re stuck with at least one of three if not two, all the time.

It looks like Frito’s big screen on Idiocracy. I have never spent more than a minute on AK before I bail out.

Yeah I know, I can always ask for my money back. It’s free and someone has to pay for it. I get it. But, I simply cannot tolerate a site like that and don’t.

There are adds on DIY Audio, but they are not nearly as obtrusive as AK.

If we are waiting for the creator, owner and or maintenance group of AK to save us, well, I believe that it is the end of another era.

I have no idea. What does it cost to operate a site like LH? It seems AK is not even interested in trying to monetize LH much less work on it.

If AK makes this a dumpster site, that will be a damn shame. If they leave it to die, that will be nearly as bad but at least it would die with some dignity.

Seriously, what can be done at this point? I would really like to know what the options are.

Thanks all. For all the good you have all done.

Barry.

I got an email from Mrs. Grumpy and she has reached out to a programmer to get a quote for upgrading this site.

Thread Information