Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL tweeter mounting bracket

While on the OEM driver topic, and JBL made drivers for Fender. Some people's understanding is that those Fender are orange color, therefore if not orange then its not a JBL/Fender driver. This is not an accurate way.

True that many Fenders are orange, however JBL made some black drivers too for Fender! On a list page of about 15 Fender drivers, 10 are orange and 5 are black (so 1/3rd). This makes JBL/Fender positive identification or not a little more tricky.

One cannot rely on driver color alone for the black ones, which may or may not be of JBL origin. Then the driver's number needs to be checked, and such number doesn't look like a traditional model identification but instead more like a part number. Bottom line the "black sheep" requires a verification to know for sure. Hopefully you haven't thrown away a black Fender driver thinking that it was some poor speaker, while in reality it might have been a JBL...

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Black?

I've seen mostly grey 120F/D130F.

Don't they all have "F" on the label???

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

No.

My understanding is that "F" was for "Fender" and the speakers include a slightly wider voice coil gap to avoid voice coil rub when the ham-fisted line workers at Fender torqued them down slightly tweaking the frames. Because of the increased gap, they also loose a bit of efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    No.

My understanding is that "F" was for "Fender" and the speakers include a slightly wider voice coil gap to avoid voice coil rub when the ham-fisted line workers at Fender torqued them down slightly tweaking the frames. Because of the increased gap, they also loose a bit of efficiency.
    Thanks didn't know they opened up the gaps.

I meant all the Fenders had an "F". So if true you could use the label no matter the color.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I've attached a partial picture of JBL/Fender drivers including their number and short description. The document has very small print and increasing the cam zoom markedly for easy reading sends some info out of the picture. The intent of the pic was simply to illustrate what i talked about in previous post. You can still see the basic on the image, and wonder about their different "model" number.

The list makes no reference to an "F" on the driver, but it indicates Fender next to very little driver data. It mentions some infos for 10, 12 and 15 inch drivers. It appears the A are Alnico and H Ferrite as usual. I guess the possibility remains some drivers could be similar to JBLs based on the fact Engineers don't reinvent the wheel everytime a driver is requested, maybe small changes, with the bulk being comparable to JBL?

For example which JBL/Fender is comparable to say a 2225 isn't an easy determination in absence of full specs and TS. I assume one would need to test it with DATS 3 or similar.

Just under the 10" orange at the bottom of pic there's a 10" Black (not shown), as well as other Fender cone drivers.

TODD: when a transducer is grey for example the list says so. Here Black means black. Btw JBL made two OEM GREEN drivers for another manufacturer, based on the list, a 12" and a 14", that OEM's name is not indicated though. Maybe the greens were intended to go in the X-MAS tree? lol. I'd bet if Madona had requested PINK JBL drivers for a Tour they would have made these, money money, and a form of endorsement/advertising for JBL...

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    TODD: when a transducer is grey for example the list says so. Here Black means black. Btw JBL made two OEM GREEN drivers for another manufacturer, based on the list, a 12" and a 14", that OEM's name is not indicated though. Maybe the greens were intended to go in the X-MAS tree? lol. I'd bet if Madona had requested PINK JBL drivers for a Tour they would have made these, money money, and a form of endorsement/advertising for JBL...

Richard

I've seen plenty of green 075s. These were commonly used for the "walk" cycle for pedestrian crossings. I would guess that the green coating was an anodized finish to better resist corrosion in an outdoor environment. Additionally JBL 375 drivers were used in foghorns, and I wouldn't be suprised to find these in green also.

The green woofers may have been intended for Heathkit. I've also seen these.

My point here is if its not Orange color it could still be a black JBL for Fender driver as the list shows. Color isn't everything, however the Orange ones are a no brainer.

TODD:

RE Additionally JBL 375 drivers were used in foghorns

Since you mention the 375 there's 6 versions of this, 3 of them without a phasing plug based on a list. But one version is quite unusual and the EX stands for explosion (bottom of the pic). The 375EX is explosion-proof! That's a pretty good one... Maybe you're familiar with that one too in terms of use?

For the battle field? For shows involving pyrotechnic stuff, fireworks? Or for the mining industry?

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images