Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I had to say goodbye to my JBL L300s

Good info.

I've always used Krylon Semi-Flat Black but it was discontinued from their consumer lineup I think because of its lacquer base. It dries so fast you can touch or re-coat within minutes. It's my go-to for JBL baffles, motorcycles, and cars. I recently found the replacement industrial version and ordered two cases.

It now goes under an industrial number: KRYLON® 1613 Industrial ACRYLI-QUIK™ Semi-Flat Black Acrylic Lacquer Paint - 340 Gram (12 oz) Aerosol Can SGP118690
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Powering JBL L5s.

I bought a Yamaha A-S301 for starters. The L5s sound pretty good, but I miss the bass most from the 2235s I had in the L300s. Especially in this room which has a lot of reflective surfaces along with the tile floors all throughout the new house. I'm trying to remedy that with drapes, etc. So what I'm thinking of is getting one of those long excursion 15 inch subwoofers that fit in a relatively small box to put in the corner next to the right L5. The A-S301 has a subwoofer output that passes 90 Hz and below. I'm assuming that is a mono signal so I'm thinking of hooking that output to some fairly high wattage used bargain mono amp (If that's possible these days). At this stage I'm really not sure exactly how that subwoofer output works. In other words I don't know if it is a constant level signal out of the preamp section of the A-S301 or if it varies with the gain of the volume of the amp? So I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas. Thanks. Tom

Exclamation

Hey Tom, It appears the sub output is intended for a self powered subwoofer though you could probably still do as you're suggesting but you would also likely still need/want a crossover and/or the mono amplifier would definitely need to have a level control. I think it's safe to assume that sub output is variable with the volume control and not fixed.

If you're not hearing very good bass from the right side even with the speaker in the corner you might be sitting in a bass null on the sofa? Is there any variation to the bass if you move about the room? If it's the case the bass is better in other locations you wouldn't want to put the sub there, you'll want to locate it by ear to somewhere else in the room. A wireless self powered sub would work well for that. Also, knowing they are used, if there's a chance some of the drivers have been repaired or replaced, then there's a chance something could be incorrectly wired internally and causing a cancellation. Ask me how I know, seen that before. :-) Ya gotta have good bass.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    I bought a Yamaha A-S301 for starters. The L5s sound pretty good, but I miss the bass most from the 2235s I had in the L300s. Especially in this room which has a lot of reflective surfaces along with the tile floors all throughout the new house. I'm trying to remedy that with drapes, etc. So what I'm thinking of is getting one of those long excursion 15 inch subwoofers that fit in a relatively small box to put in the corner next to the right L5. The A-S301 has a subwoofer output that passes 90 Hz and below. I'm assuming that is a mono signal so I'm thinking of hooking that output to some fairly high wattage used bargain mono amp (If that's possible these days). At this stage I'm really not sure exactly how that subwoofer output works. In other words I don't know if it is a constant level signal out of the preamp section of the A-S301 or if it varies with the gain of the volume of the amp? So I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas. Thanks. Tom
    I recommend getting a dedicated sub amp that will let you control the volume, crossover point and phasing. I also recommend getting a sub with an internal amp. I bought a HSU sub that works well for both home theater and music that goes down to 25hz which is low enough for an 18'x20' room. It pairs very well with the L5s for HT and music. Get a decent sub because it makes a difference. I spent $400-$500 on mine about ten years ago and it hasn't missed a beat in this time. The amp in it has enough power to cover everything from explosions with authority while subtly dealing with the nuances of music. It was designed to serve both uses and does a fine job doing so. If all you care about is music then pick a sub designed only for it.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageJBL View Post
    I recommend getting a dedicated sub amp that will let you control the volume, crossover point and phasing. I also recommend getting a sub with an internal amp. I bought a HSU sub that works well for both home theater and music that goes down to 25hz which is low enough for an 18'x20' room. It pairs very well with the L5s for HT and music. Get a decent sub because it makes a difference. I spent $400-$500 on mine about ten years ago and it hasn't missed a beat in this time. The amp in it has enough power to cover everything from explosions with authority while subtly dealing with the nuances of music. It was designed to serve both uses and does a fine job doing so. If all you care about is music then pick a sub designed only for it.
    Which HSU model do you have?

I was so impressed after researching HSU that I bought one! I got the VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer. Thanks.

I recommend getting a dedicated sub amp that will let you control the volume, crossover point and phasing. I also recommend getting a sub with an internal amp. I bought a HSU sub that works well for both home theater and music that goes down to 25hz which is low enough for an 18'x20' room. It pairs very well with the L5s for HT and music. Get a decent sub because it makes a difference. I spent $400-$500 on mine about ten years ago and it hasn't missed a beat in this time.
    The amp surviving 10 years is pretty impressive. I don't think any JBL powered sub can say that!

Widget

Which HSU model do you have?
    I have the STF-2 model that is no longer sold. It has a 10" down firing sub.

I was so impressed after researching HSU that I bought one! I got the VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer. Thanks.
    I did the same when I bought mine. I researched and really liked the approach they take to designing their products. Plus, they had a lot of very good reviews. I think you are going to like the VTF-2. You can tune it to your liking and room conditions. Edit: I just read the specs on the VTF-MK5. That thing is a beast! It can extend down to 16hz @ +/- 2dB!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The amp surviving 10 years is pretty impressive. I don't think any JBL powered sub can say that!
    Now that I think about it, I believe I have had it for 13-14 years. I am fairly sure I bought it before 2010. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a subwoofer. I think she has regretted asking me that question every time the sub kicks in hard.

I bought a Yamaha A-S301 for starters. The L5s sound pretty good, but I miss the bass most from the 2235s I had in the L300s.
    While I understand your desire to make these work as well as they can for you, had I known your expectation was to have the dynamics of the L300 on a smaller budget and footprint, I'd have recommended the L7 instead of the L5. The LE120H-1 used in the L7 has been used by JBL and others in powered subs. Crossed too high to really be called a sub in the L7, it will still shake the house.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    While I understand your desire to make these work as well as they can for you, had I known your expectation was to have the dynamics of the L300 on a smaller budget and footprint, I'd have recommended the L7 instead of the L5. The LE120H-1 used in the L7 has been used by JBL and others in powered subs. Crossed too high to really be called a sub in the L7, it will still shake the house.
    I think this will work out pretty good with the L5s. As soon as you recommended them I wondered what the difference was between the L5 and L7. So I did some research and decided it would not make that much difference. Plus the reviews were not that hot on the L7s. But mostly the guy I bought the L5s from also had a pair of L7s and he had a difficult time deciding which he liked better. So it is what it is. I'll report on the results as soon as I get everything set up. It will probably take awhile for that sub to get from California to Florida. Thanks.

I think this will work out pretty good with the L5s. As soon as you recommended them I wondered what the difference was between the L5 and L7. So I did some research and decided it would not make that much difference. Plus the reviews were not that hot on the L7s. But mostly the guy I bought the L5s from also had a pair of L7s and he had a difficult time deciding which he liked better. So it is what it is. I'll report on the results as soon as I get everything set up. It will probably take awhile for that sub to get from California to Florida. Thanks.
    You'll have far more flexibility extending the bass depth and volume to your liking by combining the sub with the L5s than you would have with the L7s on their own. Also, you very well might have an easier time integrating the sub into a system with the L5s than dealing with the side firing 12" woofers in the L7s.

Well, it's been about two months with this setup and I must admit I don't miss my L300s much anymore! The HSU woofer makes these L5s sound as good as or better than the 2235s in the L300s did. But what was equally impressive to me was that little WiiM Pro Plus shown on top of the CD player. That thing is awesome. Especially for $200+. I doubt if I'll ever buy a CD again. I'm streaming Amazon Music Unlimited through that thing and they have literally a million CD quality or better songs for $9.95 per month. The DAC in that little thing sounds amazing. Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Awesome... at the end of the day, enjoying our systems is what it's about. Great to hear you have been able to "downsize" and maintain the joy!

I totally agree with you on streaming. I still play music I bought that is stored on a local NAS, but between that and streaming, I play maybe one CD a year.

Widget

Thread Information