Thread: Metregon S82 System...Impossible?!

Metregon S82 System...Impossible?!

Hi fellow JBL fans. I need help mounting S82 speaker components into a C45 Metregon cabinet. The mounting board is factory-cut for 15" woofers, H5040 horns and 075 tweeters (presumably). The LE15A's are now mounted. The H5041's are now mounted. How the @✓∆# do you mount an 075?! It won't fit in the remaining space between the horn's support legs. With a great deal of difficulty, I was able to get the 075 mounting ring installed (with the three factory screw holes lining up) but the depth of the 075 does not allow passing the driver under the H5041 like it needs to. Has anyone actually seen a S82 system in a Metregon? Or is it just a theoretical option? I would hate to start cutting and hacking a somewhat rare horn to make room for the 075. Any ideas? Thx, Joe.

pics
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Have you seen these pics ??

Taken from HERE!!

I'd try attaching the horn bracket to the baffle board 2nd last >> after the tweeter is located into place ( with 375//2440 driver being the very last ).

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks for the reply. Those photos are interesting because you (almost) never see what is behind the grille cloth. I guess the S82 Metregon DOES exist in the wild. Your suggestion might be the answer but I really dread removing the horns. They were a b*tch to install, requiring temporary removal of some of the cabinet bracing and liberal application of a rubber mallet. And THAT was with no tweeter in the way! Still, it may be the only method short of horn bracket modification. As tight as those horns are wedged in there, I'm guessing removal will be even more difficult than installation (I'm not going to remove the grille cloth and slats.)

There's no way (in my mind) they would have had a factory install procedure with that level of effort/force required.
    Does the entire baffle come out? Top come off, slide a panel, ... thinking Chinese puzzle vs pry bar & mallet. (shrug)

Thread Information