Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your most spectacular speaker/component failure?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    What do you get if you win?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Easy... you get bragging rights! Widget
    I don't want to be the winner!

Quote Originally Posted by short_circutz2 View Post
    Luckily there was always a second 7600 to swap in on a failure. Issue was that upon amp failure, the speaker protection circuit would fail as well amd thus dc sent to whatever what was on the failed channel. The K145 pair on the channel would end up seized at their travel limit due to smoking the vc in them.The 2242 pair lived thru everything except the abusive dj pushing them beyond their excursion limit and ripping the surrounds on them. Thru communication issues between owners, they got another provider to replace them (replaced with RCF, forget the model, but I have them too now, lol) after I had already arranged for recone thru Santon Audio (before original owner retired, different owner now) for which they had to order recone kits in from JBL that I was now on the hook for. I managed to get the pair of 2242, got them reconed, and now they are part of my personal inventory. I'm planning on loading a pair of Transparence NAC 218 clones with my 4 working units. I also have a third pair that I need to try to non-destructively tear down to clean debris out of the gaps due to them having damaged dust caps.I also still have 2 of the K145 that were still finctioning after the final failure that led to the install of the pair of 2242.Well...actually I have pretty much everything audio that was ever in the club for about the 30 years that I was lead tech.
    Pretty rad. Maybe I'll throw ~600 watts at these JBL E90's I've got and see what happens...

What amps did that club use in the beginning, the 7600's? Also, what's it like when a club loses a speaker or an amp during business hours?

Not my speakers or destruction, but a good example of what happens to a system with no limiting, no high pass filter and anyone and everyone having access to the controls. All four of the speakers had the same damage, pulled from an install I reworked. That's what it looked like when I took off the front grill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Whoa.. What were those? I thought only kids and vindictive exs could do such things to a speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Whoa.. What were those? I thought only kids and vindictive exs could do such things to a speaker.
    Your first guess is correct, Community R.5HP outdoor speakers. they are a three way design with a two inch mid driver and a one inch high frequency driver on a common horn that is mounted to the front grill. They sound pretty good for their purpose when working. Also every high frequency driver was blown, all but one mid driver was blown, two of what was left of the woofers still made some noise!

Very Cool Mike !!

a good example of what happens to a system with no limiting, no high pass filter and anyone and everyone having access to the controls.

Exactly right Mike

My own experience of the same thing. 6 x Tannoy Berkely boxes suspended above a dance floor in a pub club.
    Owners spec was nice and hi fi in the dance area with punch etc yet sudued in the bar area.
    Amp poer was 6 x bridged HH eectronic Mosfet fan cooled poer amps. Plenty of juice for the application. Then the let a village idiot in to DJ.
    He just ran it up to 11. all six 15" drivers were toast hf and lf. Interestingly only one of the amps was nuked.

Shoulda put a limiter in the rack.

Never had a disaster in any of my own systems , not been getting tipsy enough.

BTW Tannoy were great given that the factory was just outside Glasgow , 25 mins away. I had it all up and running for the following day. The venue owner gave the DJ an appropriate bill. I got the service recones FOC.
    Sad to see Tannoy gone , now owned by Uli Behringer. Not holding my breath on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    a good example of what happens to a system with no limiting, no high pass filter and anyone and everyone having access to the controls. Exactly right Mike My own experience of the same thing. 6 x Tannoy Berkely boxes suspended above a dance floor in a pub club. Owners spec was nice and hi fi in the dance area with punch etc yet sudued in the bar area. Amp poer was 6 x bridged HH eectronic Mosfet fan cooled poer amps. Plenty of juice for the application. Then the let a village idiot in to DJ. He just ran it up to 11. all six 15" drivers were toast hf and lf. Interestingly only one of the amps was nuked. Shoulda put a limiter in the rack. Never had a disaster in any of my own systems , not been getting tipsy enough. BTW Tannoy were great given that the factory was just outside Glasgow , 25 mins away. I had it all up and running for the following day. The venue owner gave the DJ an appropriate bill. I got the service recones FOC. Sad to see Tannoy gone , now owned by Uli Behringer. Not holding my breath on that one.
    Not all but many DJ's think something is wrong unless every amp is clipping and things are not blowing up!!! Sounds like another system that lacked some limiting and proper high pass filtering. Tannoy speakers are/were great, I have a pair of DMT series 2 10 inch studio monitors in the my living room. Unfortunately under Uli many good brands get pushed aside and or diluted down and then there is the lack of any service support.

In that particular install there was more than ample SPL with headroom. I coulda and probably Should have installed a hidden stereo pot to set a max. The guy was just a crazy horse. The repaired ststem ran for many years after that with no complaints..
    Lesson learned though.

I junked a Berry CX network , damn thing ran for an hour and went pfssssst. No support from Berry here in the UK.
    I must have cost them thousands and thousands warning people off .

Anyone ever listen to those Tannoy Juggernaught or Dreadnaught monitors???

Spectacular failure indeed. Surprised the tattered bits of woofer were still making noise, just wow.

Thread Information