Thread: JBL 4333 Grill Badge

JBL 4333 Grill Badge

Hello all. I am looking to replace the grill badges on my 4330 Studio Monitors. Several years they were reconfigured as 4333B's. My cabs are grey and not the wood finish. I am a llitte conflicted as I am not sure if the new grill badge should read 4333 or 4333B. Can someone tell me what the factory originals on the 4333B cabs read. Thank you. Your time and assistance will be greatly appreciated. Peter

Thank you for chiming in. From the photos that I came across in the last hour or so, I believe that the wood finish cabs and the grey finish cabs may have used different badges altogether. See pics below. Obviously the 4330 badges is the one located on my cabs at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

For those of you with authentic original monitors, how are those badges actually attached to the grilles? Never put the badges on my clones but I do have them. Thanks!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    For those of you with authentic original monitors, how are those badges actually attached to the grilles? Never put the badges on my clones but I do have them. Thanks!
    I many instances the badge will come with tacks that fastened to the backside and can be held down with small pins much like what is used to hold in an earing. Here are some examples:https://i.postimg.cc/vmVkZrhG/Badge-Tacks.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/c4Pc4Vb8/4333-Grill-Tacks.jpg

"I believe that the wood finish cabs and the grey finish cabs may have used different badges altogether."

the subsequent A and B-suffix series have the cabinets with beveled front trim, and no extended overhang on the top/bottom.

So, I expect the wood/gray has less to do with anything vs which series is under review/comparison.

https://www.lansingheritage.org/html...s/jbl-catl.htm

check out the pro catalogs '71 - '74 vs '76

At this point, you could have something made that looked 4330-style to match the cabs, but change to '4333B' to indicate your customization... or anything else that floats your boat

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    "I believe that the wood finish cabs and the grey finish cabs may have used different badges altogether."the subsequent A and B-suffix series have the cabinets with beveled front trim, and no extended overhang on the top/bottom.So, I expect the wood/gray has less to do with anything vs which series is under review/comparison.https://www.lansingheritage.org/html...s/jbl-catl.htmcheck out the pro catalogs '71 - '74 vs '76At this point, you could have something made that looked 4330-style to match the cabs, but change to '4333B' to indicate your customization... or anything else that floats your boat
    Thank you for that info grumy. Much apppreciated. The image(s) in the '74 catalog is so hard to make out. Or, it's my aging eyes. From the little that I do see, it appears as though the 43333 grey finish sports the 4333 less the "B" badge.

Quote Originally Posted by tonelabaudio View Post
    I many instances the badge will come with tacks that fastened to the backside and can be held doen with small pins much like what is used to hold in an earing. Here are some examples:
    https://i.postimg.cc/vmVkZrhG/Badge-Tacks.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/c4Pc4Vb8/4333-Grill-Tacks.jpg
    Thanks. It is also apparent from the photo that metal tabs are needed behind the grill cloth attached to the grille frame in order to hold them securely.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks. It is also apparent from the photo that metal tabs are needed behind the grill cloth attached to the grille frame in order to hold them securely.
    My apologies for not being more articulate. I said "fastened to the backside and can be held down with small pins much like what is used to hold in an earing" and you said metal tabs."Tomayto-tomahto" What's important is that we were both right and knew excatly what was required to keep the badge securely attached to the grill

Quote Originally Posted by tonelabaudio View Post
    My apologies for not being more articulate. I said "fastened to the backside and can be held down with small pins much like what is used to hold in an earing" and you said metal tabs."Tomayto-tomahto" What's important is that we were both right and knew excatly what was required to keep the badge securely attached to the grill
    Yeah, without the tabs attached to the wood grille frame, the pins on the badge would only be held by the cloth. I'll work on fabricating some metal tabs. Someday. I think I've had the 4345 for around 12-years without attaching the badges, so I'm obviously in a hurry to accomplish the task!

Example of original metal tabs on rebuilt grills.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information