Thread: Large Concert Fatigue?

Large Concert Fatigue?

In reviewing our categories, this seems to fit 'Music' much better than 'General Audio Discussion'. This middle aged music fan documents his journey into the calculus of decreasing rewards from attending big live music events. I realize how old we tend to be as a group here, hell I'm seventy-five, but while this fan can mention his aches and pains as some of the reasons for taking in fewer mega events, it is his general feelings about the concerts that interests me the most.

Has the feeling that "Funny I didn't notice this earlier, but sometimes this big concert thing tends to have a lot of BS as a traveling companion". I notice that many of us, myself included, now much prefer finding bands new to us in smaller local venues than seeking marquee acts in big deal nights out. And I think that if we reflect, regardless of our age, of why that is, we will find ourselves wishing we had realized this a lot sooner. More a wisdom than experience thing. "This isn't BS because my knees hurt now, it always was BS."

Anyway, I do not know whether this Everyman will ever feel precisely this way but his point, consciously or not, is well taken I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6pqsD1xRXU
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I should add that I did make a few pilgrimages to Alpine Valley to hear some very special talents back in the day, but otherwise I was never an outdoor arena guy.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Didn't watch the video, but short of indie or unknown bands, I can't afford to go to concerts any more. When my old man reminisces and tells me about how Seger would do like five shows back-to-back at Pine Knob or Cobo Hall and that he'd see them all for ~$5/ticket, I'm just blown away. Plus, the people generally suck and so does the traffic getting out of those things. I always wear earplugs because it's too damn loud and doesn't necessarily sound good anyway. I've started to turn toward concert Blu-Rays and my own stereo system. More bang for my buck, but I feel my girls are losing out on the experience. Dad took us to lots of shows back in the day.

Update: Dad just sent me ticket prices for the upcoming Black Crowes & Aerosmith Concert, ~$900/ticket for the lower 109, row 23 @ Little Caeser's Arena here in ole Detroit. What the absolute F---? If I wanted to go with the whole family it would be ~$3,600. Absolutely absurd, who has and who is spending that much to see some washed up acts like those? Dad and I saw the Crowes not two years ago for less than $200/ticket at Pine Knob. Talk about greed.

Ticket prices

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    In reviewing our categories, this seems to fit 'Music' much better than 'General Audio Discussion'. This middle aged music fan documents his journey into the calculus of decreasing rewards from attending big live music events. I realize how old we tend to be as a group here, hell I'm seventy-five, but while this fan can mention his aches and pains as some of the reasons for taking in fewer mega events, it is his general feelings about the concerts that interests me the most.

Has the feeling that "Funny I didn't notice this earlier, but sometimes this big concert thing tends to have a lot of BS as a traveling companion". I notice that many of us, myself included, now much prefer finding bands new to us in smaller local venues than seeking marquee acts in big deal nights out. And I think that if we reflect, regardless of our age, of why that is, we will find ourselves wishing we had realized this a lot sooner. More a wisdom than experience thing. "This isn't BS because my knees hurt now, it always was BS."

Anyway, I do not know whether this Everyman will ever feel precisely this way but his point, consciously or not, is well taken I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6pqsD1xRXU
    Ticket prices in Switzerland are overwhelming. Arena concerts: poor value for the money! Keep on rocking the small locations.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

By the time I was in my 20s, back in the early ‘80s, I lost interest in general admission large venue shows. I have attended a few since then, but mostly I have preferred concerts in theaters and smaller venues… the musicians may be relatively new and unknown or surprisingly big names who wanted to perform in a more intimate setting.

I lost interest in the mega concerts due to the obvious hassles, but mostly because the sound is typically pretty poor. I go to concerts to see and hear the musicians… not watch them on a display with suboptimal sound.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    By the time I was in my 20s, back in the early ‘80s, I lost interest in general admission large venue shows. I have attended a few since then, but mostly I have preferred concerts in theaters and smaller venues… the musicians may be relatively new and unknown or surprisingly big names who wanted to perform in a more intimate setting.

I lost interest in the mega concerts due to the obvious hassles, but mostly because the sound is typically pretty poor. I go to concerts to see and hear the musicians… not watch them on a display with suboptimal sound.

Widget
    Hello Widget

Sound depends on the venue and the artist. I recently saw Florence and the Machine at MSG in NYC. I noticed whoever did the sound did a great job it sounded better than average and to my surprise it ended up being released as a live album!

As far as big shows if you want to see some acts you don't have a choice.

As far as prices I give up. The jump from last year to this year is nuts!!! Went to see the Lumineers last summer saw them on 2 nights at Forest Hills outdoor stadium. First night GA floor second night in seat with one of my friends.

This year they are playing at Jones Beach again outdoors and pricing was stupid expensive compared to last year. A floor seat was over twice what my GA was. Ridiculous!! Same with Peter Gabriel cheapest seat MSG was over $100 on the upper bridges.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello WidgetSound depends on the venue and the artist. I recently saw Florence and the Machine at MSG in NYC. I noticed whoever did the sound did a great job it sounded better than average and to my surprise it ended up being released as a live album! As far as big shows if you want to see some acts you don't have a choice. As far as prices I give up. The jump from last year to this year is nuts!!! Went to see the Lumineers last summer saw them on 2 nights at Forest Hills outdoor stadium. First night GA floor second night in seat with one of my friends. This year they are playing at Jones Beach again outdoors and pricing was stupid expensive compared to last year. A floor seat was over twice what my GA was. Ridiculous!! Same with Peter Gabriel cheapest seat MSG was over $100 on the upper bridges.Rob
    We don't get many big name acts here, I'm in a smaller border city of 74 000. My spouse and I are on disability, so normally can't afford to go out of town for anything, and not with some of the current ticket prices.I did live sound production at a club/venue here for around 30 years until the start of the pandemic, during which the business was sold to someone else who has since shut it down permanently. There's very few large shows in interested in going to anyways. , I did miss out on ZZ Top when they played here a few years ago, and I would love to see Blue Man Group live.

I've gotten so I don't want to be in a packed venue for shows any more. I had been disappointed in the Moody Blues 50th Anniversary Tour for Days of Future Past
    (2 original members were gone and they mostly phoned it in). Moodies was at Wolf Trap, which is not a huge Arena. I skipped the Roxy Music 50th Anniversary Tour
    (and I was a HUGE fan at one time). but Roxy 50 was to be at a large sports arena and it was mid-Covid, so I skipped it. Same thing for the U2 tour celebrating Joshua Tree in 2017 -
    I really liked the album, but the local show was a big outdoor football arena mid-Summer, and my days of sweltering stadium shows are behind me! Its just not a pleasant experience.
    And Peter Gabriel's tour is the same Verizon Center as Roxy 50, with high dollar tickets. I've seen Peter twice before and he hasn't done anything thats excited me for a decade or so.
    Even with the amazing Tony Levin on bass with him. I'll pass.
    We saw Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives last month in a smaller indoor venue, they were VERY good musicians and it was fun!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've gotten so I don't want to be in a packed venue for shows any more. I had been disappointed in the Moody Blues 50th Anniversary Tour for Days of Future Past
    (2 original members were gone and they mostly phoned it in). Moodies was at Wolf Trap, which is not a huge Arena.
    Hello Heather

Justin Hayward does solo tours in small venues. If he comes to your area definitely go!

Tony Levin does Stickman tours and also tours with his brother Pete who is a pianist.

With the Stickman it's his solo work and King Crimson mostly.

With Pete it's more Jazz. If he comes try him out as well.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information