Thread: A Field Coil Lansing Home Iconic Found!

A Field Coil Lansing Home Iconic Found!

So, about a month ago, I brought home one of the rarest Lansing Manufacturing Company products, a field coil 801/815 Iconic wrapped in the Model 810 Home Loudspeaker Console.And it's got a history so interesting and star-studded that it defies all expectation.I initially was planning to post this directly, but the writeup got so long and the story so fascinating that I ran it by my friend Michael Fremer, and he wanted to publish it on his website.Here's the story. Enjoy!https://trackingangle.com/features/l...-s-lost-legacy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hello vinyldavid;

That is a great story and wow what a find!

In the pictures of the front I can’s tell what the cloth or material is. Will you show a close up and or describe it please?

I am very interested in you future listening and measuring analysis.

Thank you for sharing this here.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I just completed a lengthy phone conversation with vinyldavid, the first of many I hope. He has such enthusiasm for this speaker and for Lansing stuff in general, it is heartening to see! I highly recommend his article; three friends have written to me with the link in the past day or so.Along with the similar furniture Iconic in the JBL collection (once owned by Avery Fisher), this makes two of them I know to have survived to the present day.Steve

Quote Originally Posted by vinyldavid View Post
    So, about a month ago, I brought home one of the rarest Lansing Manufacturing Company products, a field coil 801/815 Iconic wrapped in the Model 810 Home Loudspeaker Console.And it's got a history so interesting and star-studded that it defies all expectation.I initially was planning to post this directly, but the writeup got so long and the story so fascinating that I ran it by my friend Michael Fremer, and he wanted to publish it on his website.Here's the story. Enjoy!https://trackingangle.com/features/l...-s-lost-legacy
    You have in your possession a defining piece of audio history. If the remaining issues prove difficult to resolve, who knows, maybe JBL themselves might be interested in offering some support with such a worthwhile project. Good Luck!

Incredible! I log into the forum for the first time in months to research L166 crossovers a bit, and I find not one, but TWO happy surprises!

First a post on this Lansing Iconic prototype, and to see Mr. Schell is posting again!

vinyldavid, it's a well-written and informative article that As with my ongoing journey finding, extricating and gradually putting sound through an original 1941 Shearer Horn (see the thread here: https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...l=1#post426144

I love David's quote in the article, as it mirrors my own passion: "My interest lies in actually hearing what the past sounded like, to the best of our ability, and trying to enjoy classic designs for the strengths they have. It’s a goal to someday have a series of operational displays chronicling the evolution of audio reproduction from its nascent cylinder recordings up to a modern window into the sonic landscape."

Looking forward to hearing more! Keep it coming! And I really need to update my Shearer Horn thread...
    Last edited by Flamingo; 04-18-2023 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Attempt To Add CR Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hello vinyldavid; That is a great story and wow what a find! In the pictures of the front I can’s tell what the cloth or material is. Will you show a close up and or describe it please? I am very interested in you future listening and measuring analysis. Thank you for sharing this here. Barry.
    Hello Barry!Thank you for the kind words.Here are three photos which will hopefully provide the information you desire.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank you kindly.

I the earlier photos it looked solid and I just couldn’t tell what I was looking at.

It looks to be nothing I have seen. I like it.

Thanks again.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    It looks to be nothing I have seen. I like it.
    +1 on both counts.

The speaker is quite remarkable on many levels.
    Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Widget

Do you think that art deco skyscraper woodwork pattern up the center may be a field of diffraction slots?
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Do you think that art deco skyscraper woodwork pattern up the center may be a field of diffraction slots?
    I'm sure that is what the cabinet maker/designer was thinking!

Widget

Thread Information