Thread: Bass Port size for a DIY JBL 2213h project

Bass Port size for a DIY JBL 2213h project

Hello friends, A while ago I bought an immaculate pair of JBL 2213H for a very fair price. I have always heard that these woofers produce a very clean and deep bass in large enclosures. So I have decided to build a pair of speaker out of them. The only issue is that the woofers still play bass frequencies of 100-50Hz a little too loud for my taste. The test cabinet I have put them in right now were built for a DIY JBL L100T (ten years ago or so). I guess they are like 60L or maybe a little bit larger. I want to make the woofer sound tighter. According to WinISD a volume of about 100L with a tuning of 18Hz should make them sound right. If I use a 4" diameter port, the length is 26.55" and the 1st port resonance is 254.84Hz. If I use a 3" diameter port, the length is 14.38" and the 1st port resonance is 470.35Hz. Which option is acoustically superior?I have decided to use PVC swage pipes and use 90-degree bends to make the port fit. Please see the drawings attached. Do my calculations make sense? Please see the attached pics.Thanks. I could not attach the pics here. To see the pics please click here:https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....#post-16330763

Ramin,

Driver EBP at 48 suggests a sealed box. But a vented one would still work. The reason the cab would be somewhat large is driver Qts at .49 is pretty high.

For each halving of frequency, a driver in a sealed cab would see driver excursion quadrupule, which means more LF distortion. Plus you lose some efficiency in sealed which also means more distortion since in well designed systems these two are inversely related.

In a vented box the port helps the driver with less cone excursion, consequently less LF distortion. Moreover with its higher efficiency the vented cab = less distortion.

I don't know if you adjusted the QL number in ISD, the standard in the industry is QL 7, but ISD uses QL 10 has default, which is too high to start with, and that number influences proper box size.

Your 18 hz tuning is pretty low for that 12" 2213H, about 25 hz would be more reasonable. What you see has an exagerated bass output (50-100 hz) is actualy about a 1.5 db bump ( i modeled it in Winspeakerz using 5 cu ft because 3-5 cu ft was mentioned on AK. Your 100 L is 3.5 cu ft). This bump can be easily mitigated by putting the boxes on stand or base and LF diffraction loss will take care of it. Speaker softwares assume a 2 PI box placement meaning directly on the floor for example, giving it some LF reinforcement. You need to experiment stand/base height to please your ear. One may also correct too much bass with LF EQ.

The minimum recommended port by Winspeakerz is 12.2 sq in, and a 4" tube has an area of 12.56 sq in, pretty close. JBL also used a rule where port diameter should be at least 1/3 of cone diameter, so again a 4" tube for a 12".

I'll show tomorrow night the pics of the modelings i did, since i gotta go now. Regards,

Richard
    Last edited by RMC; 04-08-2023 at 12:22 PM. Reason: improper excursion wording used
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Thank you Richard for the reply.

So you recommend a 100L volume tuned to 25Hz and 4" diameter port, which makes the port 12.6" long.
    If you have better recommendations please let me know.

No, i used 5 cu ft which is 142 liters, not 100 liters

25 hz and 4" tube are ok

i haven't modeled tube length yet

See you later
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    No, i used 5 cu ft which is 142 liters, not 100 liters

25 hz and 4" tube are ok

i haven't measured tube length yet

See you later
    The largest I can do is 3.5 cubic ft (100L). Can you give me your best suggestion for this?

Ramin,

My best suggestion was 5 cu ft box.

A second best suggestion based on a 3.5 cu ft (100 liter) cabinet would be as shown in this 3rd modeling. I had saved the two 5 cu ft modelings (sealed and vented) just in case.

First pic shows 2213H in 3.5 cu ft box tuned to 25 hz, even though near top left in one place it shows 5 CF in pale color since i imported data from a previous 5 CF modeling and changed things to Vb 3.5/Fb 25 hz.

Graph shows a 2.5 db bass bump but in reality its 2 db since the driver level (sensitivity) is almost 90.5 db on the right side of graph. As mentioned earlier getting rid of the 2 db bump isn't difficult, in case its a problem.

As for port size you get two suggestions. First one is 2 X 3" tubes, these are longer. Second one is a single 4" tube having 12.63" long, pretty much the same as you had calculated. Since the 2213H isn't a high power driver with a Pe at 75 W you might not require the larger area and longer 2X3" version? You decide based on cab space available.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images