Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combating H.F. Hearing Loss. ;)

One more.

In this pic the white is four quick points of PEQ including a shelf. I didn't save the details though. Still in the quick and dirty phase. The yellow is just a 4.5uF cap. This swallows 15dB of dynamic headroom from the midband and 18dB when the 3.0uF cap gets used.

Rob if there is anything more that you wonder about the 4338 let me know and I will dig up my later work.

Barry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Kind of OT, but check this out. According to the poster the pair of AMT drivers stacked with wings matches the ~106 dB sensitivity of the Klipschorn or La Scala horns.

https://community.klipsch.com/index....-for-heritage/

On the surface this looks pretty darned impressive. Note the resolution on the FR plot. Easily as linear as a JBL 2405 and response to ~450Hz!

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

If someone wants to use the ESS Great Heil AMT, I have 3D printing programs that I created to make a pair of "flairs" as well as a pair of extensions that follow the natural angle. But if you really want to have fun with an ESS AMT: https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...-heil.1025205/

Every time those Heils go up for sale I always consider them but have never made the leap. I have heard them but never really loved them. I guess I should work with a pair to really see.

I just bought a pair of Eminence N324X-8’s. These look promising. Carbon weave diaphram that waterfalls and extends better than Beryllium, non resonant 1mSec out and really makes it past 20kHz.

Test test test.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Every time those Heils go up for sale I always consider them but have never made the leap. I have heard them but never really loved them. I guess I should work with a pair to really see. I just bought a pair of Eminence N324X-8’s. These look promising. Carbon weave diaphram that waterfalls and extends better than Beryllium, non resonant 1mSec out and really makes it past 20kHz. Test test test. Barry.
    If you make the modifications I made (i.e., the back half round and front flares), the soundstage/imaging/detail from the Heils is unlike any JBLs I've ever heard. If you get out to Orange County, CA (or anyone else is in the area), feel free to arrange a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Every time those Heils go up for sale I always consider them but have never made the leap. I have heard them but never really loved them. I guess I should work with a pair to really see.

Test test test.

Barry.
    Hello Barry

Pull the trigger! They are lots of fun to experiment with. I used a pair for a while and for now have them in storage but I will be bringing them back at some point.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hi Barry, guys, long time no talk. Try as I might, I can't make out the frequencies on your curves of the ST-400. Am I seeing a steady droop above 10 khz., or earlier? I'm keenly interested, as I have been running the Selenium / JBLs for a while now, ever since they were $30 each NIB on ebay. This was around five years ago.My ears only function to 10 or 11 kHz. these days, so I have a droop as well. The STs sound very sweet and non-fatiguing to me, which I attribute to their phenolic diaphragms. They keep up fine with my live drum kit recordings, pulling about even with the 075s, my previous favorites. I like the old ESS big Heils as well. A pair of ESS transmission line towers with the AMTs on top serve as my computer monitors.

Thread Information