Thread: Trying the JBL 2395 in home environment.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trying the JBL 2395 in home environment.

Hello! After finishing my 2395 refurbishment it was time to replace the 2390 on the JBL 4560a cabs, trying to make them sound at least as good as the “hartsfield” lenses but it seems that this will never happen in home environment. The 2395 in specs shows 1 db more efficient than the 2390 but it’s something that you will not realise it easily cause the 2390 is a more sparking sounding horn and the 2395 is just more loud. For start I try to find the best angle that the 2395 has the most output coming to my ears from the listening spot. This was not something easy and it takes me some hours to find the best angle that was almost perfectly parallel to the cabinet. After that I place the horn in the same spot that the 2390 were (time aligned with the woofers ) and also the tweeter like before. It took me hours and hours of gain adjustment, positioning the speakers etc but for no reason I can make them sound as good as the 2390 lenses. One reason is that the 2395 must look total forward and parallel between the two and not in angle (making a triangle with the listening spot), but using the 2402 tweeter the things are getting even worst in the listening position cause u are out of the range of the tweeter but in the range of the lenses… a total mess ! Giving angle to the lenses and make a triangle to the listening position make them sound harsh and weird probably because of cancellation and who knows what else. Probably my 2390 will go back on the 4560 keeping the 2395 as a historical piece of JBL history…
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information