Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying the JBL 2395 in home environment.

Trying the JBL 2395 in home environment.

Hello! After finishing my 2395 refurbishment it was time to replace the 2390 on the JBL 4560a cabs, trying to make them sound at least as good as the “hartsfield” lenses but it seems that this will never happen in home environment. The 2395 in specs shows 1 db more efficient than the 2390 but it’s something that you will not realise it easily cause the 2390 is a more sparking sounding horn and the 2395 is just more loud. For start I try to find the best angle that the 2395 has the most output coming to my ears from the listening spot. This was not something easy and it takes me some hours to find the best angle that was almost perfectly parallel to the cabinet. After that I place the horn in the same spot that the 2390 were (time aligned with the woofers ) and also the tweeter like before. It took me hours and hours of gain adjustment, positioning the speakers etc but for no reason I can make them sound as good as the 2390 lenses. One reason is that the 2395 must look total forward and parallel between the two and not in angle (making a triangle with the listening spot), but using the 2402 tweeter the things are getting even worst in the listening position cause u are out of the range of the tweeter but in the range of the lenses… a total mess ! Giving angle to the lenses and make a triangle to the listening position make them sound harsh and weird probably because of cancellation and who knows what else. Probably my 2390 will go back on the 4560 keeping the 2395 as a historical piece of JBL history…
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That’s a bummer. I’m surprised, I would have expected them to sound very similar. Have you tried to control the early horizontal reflections? I could see that becoming an issue, but am otherwise surprised.

That said, I have never heard these in a small room and you may be right that they won’t work in your room.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That’s a bummer. I’m surprised, I would have expected them to sound very similar. Have you tried to control the early horizontal reflections? I could see that becoming an issue, but am otherwise surprised.That said, I have never heard these in a small room and you may be right that they won’t work in your room.Widget
    Yeap I block the outer sides of the slants and the sound became a little more focused. Still not that good as 2390. With the 2390 the system sounded WONDERFUL with the speakers almost disappearing in the space. The main problem I see is that I loose much of the energy of the horns when they are not facing me at the listening position. I will have to try the system with the 2405 but I believe the things will become worst with the smaller efficiency…

Quote Originally Posted by retro soulman View Post
    Yeap I block the outer sides of the slants and the sound became a little more focused. Still not that good as 2390. With the 2390 the system sounded WONDERFUL with the speakers almost disappearing in the space. The main problem I see is that I loose much of the energy of the horns when they are not facing me at the listening position. I will have to try the system with the 2405 but I believe the things will become worst with the smaller efficiency…
    You aren't going to even hear the difference in the spl/sensitivity difference between the two models with only a 1dB difference between the two.

You should try the JBL 2360
    They can work in small spaces.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    You should try the JBL 2360They can work in small spaces.
    Had the 2365 few years ago! Sounded nice when the crossover point was higher than 800hz. So no much use on my situation!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    You should try the JBL 2360They can work in small spaces.
    How well does your setup work for home use? It looks like something that would be equally at home in a small auditorium. What are the drivers and crossover?

Soulman,

Apart from the fact the 4560 type speaker is not a typical home speaker (long throw), i think you have two issues here.

One is related to dispersion patterns involved and the other could be a phasing issue (i.e. the cancellation you refered to). In-phase wire connections alone don't guarantee proper acoustical phasing, since physical placement of driver(s)/horn also matters.

On the first item, 4560 cabinet has a narrow radiation pattern, 2395 short throw has a pretty wide pattern (140° H) and the bullet type 2402 has a very narrow 40°conical radiation pattern. So when moving around you're bound to hear "discrepancies". (Use of 2405 would be more logical in that context, note JBL used the 2405 in the similar 4663A).

On the phasing issue (cancellation), its not really complicated to understand and correct, however it still requires a fair amount of explanations, but i don't have the time for this now. I'll post that at a later time along with JBL supporting documents.

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Hi,Always a matter of taste. I tried the 2360 they are majestic but you have to be far away to appreciate them unless you like having the musicians more in your face.My experiments led me to 2397 for my room. I like the 2395 I listen with 2440 and 41 coupled with 2405 which I listened to in a large room but for a smaller room I prefer the 2397 while mentioning that I have never tried with 4560.The choice is wider for a large room and the 2360 would be one of my favorites and more easy to find than the 2395 in a good shape.
    Music is emotion.

JBL 2360
    Picture in post 5 is not mine.
    I have not used the 2360 at home but have heard them at friends'.
    There are several setups with 2360 in Norway and the owners are very satisfied.

They are not wife-friendly and become dominant in the living room.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Soulman, Apart from the fact the 4560 type speaker is not a typical home speaker (long throw), i think you have two issues here. One is related to dispersion patterns involved and the other could be a phasing issue (i.e. the cancellation you refered to). In-phase wire connections alone don't guarantee proper acoustical phasing, since physical placement of driver(s)/horn also matters.On the first item, 4560 cabinet has a narrow radiation pattern, 2395 short throw has a pretty wide pattern (140° H) and the bullet type 2402 has a very narrow 40°conical radiation pattern. So when moving around you're bound to hear "discrepancies". (Use of 2405 would be more logical in that context, note JBL used the 2405 in the similar 4663A).On the phasing issue (cancellation), its not really complicated to understand and correct, however it still requires a fair amount of explanations, but i don't have the time for this now. I'll post that at a later time along with JBL supporting documents.Richard
    The problem with the 2405 is the smaller sensitivity. Even with the 2402 the 2395 almost covers the uhf

Soulman,

The rated sensitivity of 2402 is 110 db and 2405 is 105 db, notable but not a huge difference between the two. The 2405 sensitivity isn't a major problem since you can use an L-Pad on the horn driver to reduce its output to a matching level. Moreover, if you bi-amp or tri-amp the system its easy to adjust sound levels with the gain controls on amps and a sound level meter for example.

With use of the 2390 (aka HL 89) i think you might have yet another issue since, if i recall correctly, you mentioned previously seeing the horn's mouth when looking sideways in the 2390. This gives me the impression that you may be missing something in your 2390 installation?

JBL specifies the use of the MA25 (NOT MA15) installation kit with a baffle for mounting the 2390 on top of the cabinet. This is not just a nice to have baffle, but rather a must have for proper sound from these lens as indicated by JBL. Btw the 2395 (aka HL 90) does not require use of such baffle as mentioned in one of the pics attached (both pics from JBL documents).

Richard