Thread: Started Looking at my Parts Stash and ...

Started Looking at my Parts Stash and ...

Saw WardsWeb's "Tripping the Light Fantastic" thread and got me to thinking ...

I have been looking for a set of high efficiency speakers to pair with a newly restored Marantz 30 watt receiver. Wanted something better than bookshelf speakers, but do have space limitations. Searches result in mostly small bookshelf (and smaller sound) or larger but more expensive speakers.

Really wasn't looking for another DIY project, but if I can come up with relatively easy build... So I started looking at my "stash" and have several possibilities - Altec 808-8A or 808-8B's, either can be paired to Altec 511b horns, 2242's (8 ohms), JBL 2220J's (16 ohms), and JBL 2012H's (8 ohms). I'm not particularly looking for the complication of a 3 way system (but may consider it) - my preference would be a two way.

Assuming a properly sized and vented enclosure for the 2242's, and assuming a suitable crossover can be devised, what about pairing the 808-8a or b's / 511b with the 2242's? The 2242's (99 dB 1w/1m), supposedly can reach 1 khz; the 808-8a's (112 dB 1 watt/4ft) or 808-8B's (104dB 1 watt/4 ft) supposedly can reach down to 500 hz with the 511b. I realize the efficiency differences may require trimming the HF's.

Thoughts? Possibility or would it have a noticeable mid-range hole and need a mid-range/mid-woof?

I don't have a pair, but have also been thinking about an Altec Super Duplex 604E system too, as a simpler (but significantly more expensive) option.

There are many roads to audio nirvana. Went through this exercise with a friend and ended up doing custom 620 cabinets for his Altec 605B.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello MMC;

The 2242’s rating is from an average pink noise drive from 100 to 1kHz. It is 10dB down from that average at 25Hz. 99 dB is a bit optimistic if even used as a full woofer. If you plan to EQ them flat take that 10dB right off the top. I think it’s 3dB down is above 60Hz. And while it will make noise past 1kHz I don’t like them anywhere past 250Hz.

For a high efficiency 2way system the horn and 2220 would be my pick with the 2242’s as subs on a big amp. I love 2220’s.

I love the 2012’s and 2242’s but have never managed to integrate the two try as I might. The 2242’s don’t sound good high enough to where the 2012 plays with any authority. To me that combination sounds like a sub satellite system where the mid bass impact is missing.

That’s my 2 bits.

Many ways to audio nirvana indeed.

All the best.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thanks for the thoughts and insights. Just based on JBL literature, linearity was claimed up to about 1khz for the 2242, but suspected that would be optimistic even if I crossed at 700. With only a 30 watt receiver I think a 3 way might be stretching it, not to mention the complexity of a crossover. And multi-amps with DSP is going way out of what I wanted for a simple system - I promised the wife this system would be something she could operate, as opposed to my other 3 systems that glazes her eyes over.

I'll look at the 2220 closer, I just remembered they are J's (16 ohms) which will dampen output driven by only a 30 watt receiver, even if 101 dB efficient.

And of course the 604. That 620 / 605b cabinet is beautiful BTW. Was the bass output satisfactory out of the 620 cabinet?

Thread Information