Saw WardsWeb's "Tripping the Light Fantastic" thread and got me to thinking ...

I have been looking for a set of high efficiency speakers to pair with a newly restored Marantz 30 watt receiver. Wanted something better than bookshelf speakers, but do have space limitations. Searches result in mostly small bookshelf (and smaller sound) or larger but more expensive speakers.

Really wasn't looking for another DIY project, but if I can come up with relatively easy build... So I started looking at my "stash" and have several possibilities - Altec 808-8A or 808-8B's, either can be paired to Altec 511b horns, 2242's (8 ohms), JBL 2220J's (16 ohms), and JBL 2012H's (8 ohms). I'm not particularly looking for the complication of a 3 way system (but may consider it) - my preference would be a two way.

Assuming a properly sized and vented enclosure for the 2242's, and assuming a suitable crossover can be devised, what about pairing the 808-8a or b's / 511b with the 2242's? The 2242's (99 dB 1w/1m), supposedly can reach 1 khz; the 808-8a's (112 dB 1 watt/4ft) or 808-8B's (104dB 1 watt/4 ft) supposedly can reach down to 500 hz with the 511b. I realize the efficiency differences may require trimming the HF's.

Thoughts? Possibility or would it have a noticeable mid-range hole and need a mid-range/mid-woof?

I don't have a pair, but have also been thinking about an Altec Super Duplex 604E system too, as a simpler (but significantly more expensive) option.