Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ess Presidents Day Deal

If anyone picks up a pair, I'll show you how to bring out detail you never dreamed of. And, now I've even figured out how to get rid of the "edge."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZGLOB6ixyY

Hi toddalin,

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    If anyone picks up a pair, I'll show you how to bring out detail you never dreamed of. And, now I've even figured out how to get rid of the "edge."
    Would it be applicable even to the older model?

Also, as this is a JBL related forum, should we take it to P.M.?

Kindest regards,

M
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by mefisto View Post
    Hi toddalin,

Would it be applicable even to the older model?

Also, as this is a JBL related forum, should we take it to P.M.?

Kindest regards,

M
    I do it on the 1D model, but the architecture is similar, though not identical, and it may still work though maybe not as well. Certainly it would work to some extent. The crossover point (~3kHz) may be too high for your woofer though. For a couple bucks, isn't it worth a try though? Perhaps your flares would mitigate some of the roll-off.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-heil.1025205/

At this time, I'm not using the felt, and have added foams to the front to remove the "edge." See the link.

Hi toddalin,

thank you for the link.

Kindest regards,

M

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

Do we have stories here of successful implementation?

As I recall, heather bagged the ideal after a trial.

Just curious. I think I'm good on tweeters right now, but thanks for the heads-up!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Do we have stories here of successful implementation?

As I recall, heather bagged the ideal after a trial.

Just curious. I think I'm good on tweeters right now, but thanks for the heads-up!
    That's a good question. I still have mine but blocked off the backside so it was no longer radiating on the backside. Both sides didn't work in my room. Lost image focus compared to horns or direct radiators.

Toddalin's are heavily modified, blocked off rear and then some. Your right, have there been any straight up users??

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Urk! That kills my ad selling my pair at AK for $300 with the Toddalin smoked plexi bases ...
    Ah well, they're in safe storage for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Exclamation

Hello Heather

Just wait a month and yours will be a bargain again!

Rob

That's a good question. I still have mine but blocked off the backside so it was no longer radiating on the backside. Both sides didn't work in my room. Lost image focus compared to horns or direct radiators.

Toddalin's are heavily modified, blocked off rear and then some. Your right, have there been any straight up users??

Rob
    The challenges are not exclusive to the ESS AMT.

Hello Heather

Just wait a month and yours will be a bargain again!

Rob
    Can't complain, agreed on a price of $350 shipped to Knoxville for mine;
    with the Toddalin Plexi bases, foam wedges, and the little wooden LPad boxes.
    Gotta work at constant downsize in retirement ... lest things accumulate.

Besides, the 2405 slots play easier with the other JBL drivers in the classic combo ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Can't complain, agreed on a price of $350 shipped to Knoxville for mine;
    with the Toddalin Plexi bases, foam wedges, and the little wooden LPad boxes.

Besides, the 2405 slots play easier with the other JBL drivers in the classic combo ...
    I got a request for a set this week, but no longer have access to the equipment and materials got to be outrageous and I would have to buy a full sheet to get any kind of price at all.

I told him I would sell him my original set, in clear acrylic, for $110. You know that if push came to shove, you could put your set on the other site and eventually, they would go.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    I got a request for a set this week, but no longer have access to the equipment and materials got to be outrageous and I would have to buy a full sheet to get any kind of price at all.

I told him I would sell him my original set, in clear acrylic, for $110. You know that if push came to shove, you could put your set on the other site and eventually, they would go.
    Well, your bases were a nice accessory.
    My Great Heils are sold, shipped, and being delivered even as we speak
    (with a pair of smoked bases, L-Pad boxes, and foam wedges to cut as needed).
    Only issue was the Heils are a bit Heavy - a 33lb box!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I know that feeling. The garage is always chock a block. No room for much diy. The question is what chuck out first…Lol.

My new, huge, unfinished basement makes it too easy to accumulate . . . stuff!

Currently I have six motorcycles in there, two of which are currently road-ready, three batteries on chargers, my disassembled L150A project with eight drivers done and waiting on cabinets, a dozen JBL pairs total, as well as multiple amp and pre-amp backups on shelves. I have two dual-seat restoration project for BMW R100RS Last Edition models which means three seats and their appropriate special-paint cowls for the one bike I own of the 250 ever made, as well as three seats for an R100R Mystic of which only 254 bikes were made. Then there's the model car collection just stored on one shelf unit holding maybe 500 models of bikes and cars. Then my wife's raw material for future projects, and my table saw, chop saw, compound miter saw, and drill press. And a couple of extra Ikea Poang leather chairs so I can sit and listen occasionally.

The sad part is I have three other motorcycles in the upstairs garage along with a disassembled BMW 1600 Cabriolet, and a 530i Sport/Premium stick-shift I've driven less than 10,000 miles in the eight-years I've owned it. And I still have dozens more amps in my old house along with L1, L3, L5, L7, 4412A, L96, L20T, 250Ti, and a complete Kyocera system still at the old house. And one small BMW 700 convertible in the old garage, as well as another 1600 Cabriolet and three Isettas under the old car port.

To add insult to injury, a friend who has stored my C35 cabinets for my old 030 system at his house for maybe 20-years, has probably close to 100 motorcycles and he'd like to bring at least three to add to my basement collection. And, oh yeah, he has one of my L80T systems in his billiard room.

I just have to stay healthy long enough to realize completion of half those projects!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information