Thread: Le14a vs le15a

Le14a vs le15a

HiA few years ago I got some great help trying to figure out what to build with the drivers I had laying around. I turned out pretty well. The system sounds great I have done so for the past years. Now I find myself I a similar situation. I have some drivers, but I need to do something with them. I have at the moment the followering drivers 075, 2402H, 2404H, 2450, 2440J, 2445J and 2309/15090,Le15a or le14a My problem is what to do with the woofers. I can use the Le15a a make a classic 3 way system with Le15a/2440 and 075. But I have two pairs of the Le14a - so I could do something with two le14a pr side and 2440/075? I love the sound of the Le15a. But I have never head anything with two le14a?

I think I would give the dual LE14A concept a try. You would be best served going the helper woofer route like the 4435.

To avoid too much bottom end, you might try using a smaller than normal enclosure and play around with the port tuning to see what you can come up with. That said, the LE14A is substantially lower in sensitivity so if you like to play loud on occasion, then this might not be the choice for you.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think I would give the dual LE14A concept a try. You would be best served going the helper woofer route like the 4435.To avoid too much bottom end, you might try using a smaller than normal enclosure and play around with the port tuning to see what you can come up with. That said, the LE14A is substantially lower in sensitivity so if you like to play loud on occasion, then this might not be the choice for you.Widget
    I leaning towards that as well. I am running McIntosh mc2155 så I don't think it will be a problem. Thanks for your answer.

What cabinet size would provide an advantage using two LE14As? I have nine sitting around here.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    What cabinet size would provide an advantage using two LE14As? I have nine sitting around here.
    I think I would try a 4 cu ft enclosure for a pair of them and tune it to 30Hz.

It might suck, but that would be my guess. I would want to mock it up in a test box before I commented myself to the design.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    My two cents on this question is that I would not bother unless you want to fashion a more compact 4-way modeled on the 4350/55 with a midbass that comes in at about 300Hz. The issue is acoustic coupling, which creates a boost of up to 3 dB at frequencies depending on the distance between the woofer centers. If you play a pair of LE14As beyond about 300 Hz, the upper bass/midrange will be thin relative to the lower bass (and coming from too many places). The LE14A is more like the 2235 than the 2234 which is used in the 4435. Why didn't JBL use the 2235 in that speaker, which plays the second woofer up to about 150Hz? Who wants a fat bottom? Optimum cabinet size is 3.5 cu ft for the 14 inchers.The LE14A, at about 93-95 dB efficiency, plays credibly to a horn (Lancer 101 and Zilch's EconoWave 2-way); it's only advantage over a 15 would be a compact enclosure, but that does not comport well with crossing to the horn no higher (for me) than 800Hz. A later LE14 plays bass in a three-way and a four-way (L240 and 250). Rob uses it as a subwoofer below an E145. Always available in number on eBay, the truth is, it's a bit of an orphan, which is why the question of how to deploy it comes up with some regularity, and your garage is an orphanage, which reveals your compassionate side.What about an all-orphan compact disco speaker for very small venues—two LE14A's, a D123 mid bass and a 2370/2425 treble?An L55-sized enclosure with its LE14A biamped with an L20T sitting on it makes a pretty good garage speaker if you happen to have a Crown VFX2a and a pair of UREI amps sitting around with your LE14A's like some parties do.The best use, I think, would be helping preserve another JBL legacy, which is often seen orphaned without its bass module; use as a bass driver to the top three elements in the L212. The crossover, biamped again, could be moved up to 150-200Hz to flatten the upper bass bulge not treated in the network with a baffle step.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

RE posts # 4 & 5

Attached quick modeling pic for LE14A (Vb 4 cu.ft. net /Fb 30 hz /double woofers) shows a valid box design to me. Not subwoofer material but a pair will certainly make noise. Plus response is reasonably flat, and F3 a little under 50 hz. The small Vas parameter (147 L) would possibly prevent this driver from being at ease in large cabinets.

Note there's a typo in the software with regards to LE14A size at 12" instead of 14", i could have corrected this going into the driver database, but i forgot. I checked the other parameters and they seem ok.

The software calculated the woofer's sensitivity at 91.9 db. Checking this with JBL's own driver efficiency data of 0.95% mid-band, it matches since Eargle's eff./sen. table gives 1% = 92 db.

So simplified, one driver 92 db, two drivers 95 db, and a pair of double woofer boxes would give 98 db, enough possibilities to rattle the silver...

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

It seems like there are some different opinions on the subject. The reason I think I could work, or I the reason I would like it to, is that it would serve as a more compact 3 way version of my other homemade JBL which is 2xLe15a, 2123h, 2440/2397 and 2403. But as I understand there are no advantages I 4 Le14a over one Le15a?Thank for all your replies.

Louis,

RE But as I understand there are no advantages I 4 Le14a over one Le15a?

I will reply to your last question tomorrow, i have to go sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Btw i don't agree there are no advantages in that context.

Richard