Thread: Picked up a pair of 4410s, and...

Picked up a pair of 4410s, and...

...WOW!!! I expected them to sound good, but wasn't really ready for just how much I do like them. And as much as I do love JBL, all of my previous experience has been with PRO/PA drivers that I utilized for home use...so far it's been variois combinations of 2226H, 1400PRO, 2151J, 2169H, 2447H with aquaplas diaphragms, 2451H-SL... all great drivers in their own right, and all yielded phenomenal results in my home system/s along with DSP and tons of good old AB power via Crown. But I've never had the opportunity to hear a complete speaker as designed and built by JBL until now, with the exception of the Studio 530s I'm using as my desktops in my home office and some mediocre/modern home stuff that really didn’t perform.

And, to top it off, with not knowing what these will really sound like, I've got them temped up with a less than stellar signal path. 3.5mm headphone out of my TV running the Spotify App, into a MiniDSP 2x4, into an IcePower 125ASX2 in stereo to the 4410s. At 8 ohms stereo, this amp is probably only providing about 60-75 watts to each speaker, and they still sound great. My plan is hook up a 2nd amp and run them in BTL mode, which at 8 ohms should provide up to 250w to each speaker.

I have them sitting on top of a pair of home brew subwoofers with W12GTIs in them, which is why I'm using the MiniDSP, but they are currently not on as I want to get to know the 4410s without augmenting the low end just yet. And this works out perfectly as it brings the tweeter right at ear level. I do listen to a lot of electronic music, so I will incorporate the subs at some point, but currently, in my room, I'm finding that dialing the tweeters to -1, or the mid to -1 and tweeter to -2, works best, depending on the source material.

So, to make a long post even longer, the seller I bought these from also has a pair of 4410As and a pair of 4408As. Are these worth picking up? A couple of family members heard my 4410s and now they're interested in similar monitors. I've done my best to read up on the 4410s/4410As/4408As as much as I could to try and determine their differences, but it seems split between the 4410/4410A, and the 4408A is well liked, but less so than the 10" versions and a bit less efficient.

Anyway, I'll stop now, thanks for reading.

4410A could actually sound better than the 4410. Updated networks and tweeters. But you'll be missing the wood veneer finish and any adjustability of the tweeter from the L-pad. Nothing wrong with the utility finish (I have the 4412A) as long as you like Formica—or whatever that is.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by emilime75 View Post
    I'm finding that dialing the tweeters to -1, or the mid to -1 and tweeter to -2, works best, depending on the source material.
    It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but -3 (12 Noon on the dial) is actually the "default" position. With my 4412 speakers, I went a long time thinking that 0 (Zero) on the dial was the default position, as that would correspond with common sense, but that is not the case.

My first JBLs i used were a friends 4412s back in 1990. They were the best speakers i had ever heard at the time and i had use of them for about 3 weeks. Once i returned them to him i could not play anything on my hifi via the then current speakers. The 4412s were a little pricey for my budget then but i eventually got my first JBLs...a pair of L80Ts,the home versions of your 4410s. They were fantastic as well. Those 4410s are excellent and i prefer the wood veneer finish vs the A variant. They are keepers,enjoy.
    Currently own and use JBL 250Ti,250Ti Classic,18Ti,L100T and L20T

Nice speakers both the 4410 and 4410A. If anyone can compare the 4410/4410A to L110A? I have the later and thinking about switching to 4410/4410A if it is worth, and I get better sound.

Quote Originally Posted by vrobec View Post
    If anyone can compare the 4410/4410A to L110A? I have the later and thinking about switching to 4410/4410A if it is worth, and I get better sound.
    I can't, but I do have 4412A, L96, and two pair of L80Ts. My opinion is that no matter what I've done to the L80T (T3 crossovers in both pair, lengthened the ports, stuffed more insulation in the top per Gordon W's suggestions) I still don't like the sound. One pair is on loan to a friend and the other never gets played. The L96 always sounds great though. I'm a bit jaded though as none of these sound as good as my L5s, and the L7s are just off-the-charts better than all the others. Maybe I'm just getting tired of replacing surrounds?!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by vrobec View Post
    Nice speakers both the 4410 and 4410A. If anyone can compare the 4410/4410A to L110A? I have the later and thinking about switching to 4410/4410A if it is worth, and I get better sound.
    Maybe a worthless comment from me - but I had 4412 and L110A, and I found the 4412 much more ... dry? Surgical? Precise? And the L110A much more ... laid back? Musical? Both great but very different sounds. But I have no idea how the 4410 compares to the 4412 so again, maybe a worthless comment.
    Currently: L300, C40 Harkness (030 Load), 4301B

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Law View Post
    Maybe a worthless comment from me - but I had 4412 and L110A, and I found the 4412 much more ... dry? Surgical? Precise? And the L110A much more ... laid back? Musical? Both great but very different sounds. But I have no idea how the 4410 compares to the 4412 so again, maybe a worthless comment.
    Absolutely not worthless, this nailed what I expect. In this case I think the L110A will stay with me. I can sacrifice the surgical precise sound for musicality, always. 👍😀

Congratulations on a fine purchase I have the 4410s myself and absolutely love them. I like having the level controls, as I can adjust the level of the mids and highs. On mine I usually run them at -3, and I also use the LE 10s for the LFs. The only thing that you will have to do is to refoam the 035's unless it has already been done. If your primary listening is pop the zingies are not so bad but on classical music it's murderous. once you do that you'll have a speaker that can hold its own with almost anything made today. oh it's not really difficult to replace the foam damping, but be careful. I've wrecked a couple by being in a hurry. If you decide to have someone else do it, Edgewound (a member here) does great work. keep on listening Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thanks for all of the replies. Interesting to know that -3 on the dials is the default setting. I've tried to find an "owner's manual" for them, if such a thing exists, but no luck. Anyone know where it could be found?And even though the consensus seems to be that the 4410A may be an upgrade over the 4410, I think I'm going to save my money and try to pick up a pair of 4412As - maybe build new cabinets for them that are larger for better extension on the low end and I can veneer them, as well.

The 4412-without the "A" is the factory walnut veneered model. I love mine!

What JBL calls a manual is downloadable here: https://jblpro.com/en/products/4410

or here: https://usermanual.wiki/Document/JBL4410.3387594949

Thread Information