Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: REgistration difficulties over on AK

  1. #1
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,276

    REgistration difficulties over on AK

    I'v noticed a few folks on AK having probs registering over here on LH

    Here's one https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....kman00.377163/

    TIA if anyone can help.

    Mac

  2. #2
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,452

    Unhappy

    To reduce the number of spammers I have been manually admitting new members for the past decade plus. It takes time and while it is not 100% effective, it did reduce the spammers.

    I stopped manually admitting new members last fall. I automated the process and within a few days we had hundreds of new bot members mostly from Russia, but also from other locations. After seeing what a simple human verification tool allowed, I blocked all new members and no new members have been admitted since then.

    If you can get AK to step up and take over running Lansing Heritage, that would be great.


    Widget

  3. #3
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,276
    Ah ,I see. Thanks. Would you like me to pass that on ?

    Regards Mac

  4. #4
    Senorita Member hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,433
    Mac! I cannot PM you here on Lansing Forum since your inbox is full!
    Please delete a few msgs and I'll send you a reply ...

    I will note that Spammers have REALLY been pounding websites lately, trying to make a buck (or rubel or shekel)
    getting their links visible on as many sites as they can ...

    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Ah ,I see. Thanks. Would you like me to pass that on ?

    Regards Mac
    2ch: RPi-4, Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Carver TFM-25, VonSchw VR-4, Heath AS-1348, JBL L212 (2pr)
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

  5. #5
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Mac! I cannot PM you here on Lansing Forum since your inbox is full!
    Please delete a few msgs and I'll send you a reply ...

    I will note that Spammers have REALLY been pounding websites lately, trying to make a buck (or rubel or shekel)
    getting their links visible on as many sites as they can ...
    Roger that. M

    Done , cleared out. You can chat with me on AK and by e mail. Happy new year Heather

  6. #6
    Senorita Member hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Roger that. M

    Done , cleared out. You can chat with me on AK and by e mail. Happy new year Heather
    Thank you Mac! And a happy New Year to you too!
    2ch: RPi-4, Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Carver TFM-25, VonSchw VR-4, Heath AS-1348, JBL L212 (2pr)
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    WDC USA
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I stopped manually admitting new members last fall... I blocked all new members and no new members have been admitted since then.
    This seems like an excellent way to have a dead end forum and explains a lot.

  8. #8
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,452
    Yeah, it is really too bad that AK hasn't been able to offer the support needed to maintain a viable forum. Hopefully this will change moving forward.

    That said, this forum has been slowing down since the peak back in the mid '00s. This is partly due to the membership and partly due the changes at JBL. JBL is hardly the same company that it was 15-20 years ago.


    Widget

  9. #9
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    This is partly due to the membership and partly due the changes at JBL. JBL is hardly the same company that it was 15-20 years ago.
    And one day we'll all be gone. But thanks for the ride. It's been helpful, inspiring, and fun.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."óGreg Timbers

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    To reduce the number of spammers I have been manually admitting new members for the past decade plus. It takes time and while it is not 100% effective, it did reduce the spammers.

    I stopped manually admitting new members last fall. I automated the process and within a few days we had hundreds of new bot members mostly from Russia, but also from other locations. After seeing what a simple human verification tool allowed, I blocked all new members and no new members have been admitted since then.

    If you can get AK to step up and take over running Lansing Heritage, that would be great.


    Widget
    Well thatís a noble effort.

    At one point we had a number of volunteers.

    Would it be as appropriate to look to a Poll or a consensus from a slice of the membership to consider self management of essential functions like membership?

    A membership secretary is an essential role in most clubs.

    Reconers, Parts Express might be interested in some form of sponsorship

    Jamin Jersey is another one. If they posted their JBL drivers in the market place with a member price it would attract membership.

    I get messages from Facebook to join likeminded Groups all the time. But there are only so many hours in a day.

    What is the financial cost of running a forum? Is a forum the most appropriate flat form for this type of focus group? Theres so much detail in this scene as a topic itís better said than key strokes.

    These days people engaging in podcasts. A once a month podcast like a news letter or a group catch could have a lot of meaning. Someone might enjoy doing that.

    A presence on Instagram.

    Those sort of activities bring vitality to a Focus Group.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. JBL RANGER PARAGON Registration Ideal
    By SUPERBEE in forum Forum Feedback
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •