Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper-In-Oil Capacitors?? Wooden Horn?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    It uh, "..really ties the room together."

115dB sensitivity. Whoa. And here I thought anything over 100 was impressive. How did you build the horns? Response down to 20hz? What kind of bass driver feeds the horn?
    When I first built the bass horns about 20 years ago they were primarily lath and cement/stucco construction with some brick/block work in the backchamber portion. While messy, the lath and cement is a pretty easy way to shape a big horn and the density is a big help too.

When I re-worked the room for the Cogent system I demoed the original cement mouths and reconfigured them a bit with the new hardwood mouths. The wood is a Brazilian species called Garapa and it is extremely dense and hard.

Drivers since the beginning have been JBL K151 alnico 18". Since I added the active low-pass and EQ to boost the 20-30Hz range I've been worried about over excursion. I have a pair of Gauss 4882 driver waiting to be installed which have greater power handling a double the excursion of the K151s.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

115dB sensitivity. Whoa. And here I thought anything over 100 was impressive.
    When I built my 103dB+ system I took a page from the Cogent crew and used magnet wire to feed the Audax tweeters. Only milliwatts are required. Past 100dB efficiency it is a different world. It is a simple augmented single driver setup, nothing fancy, but the First Watt F1J ten watt transconductance amp would be enough to drive a dozen of them.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    When I built my 103dB+ system I took a page from the Cogent crew and used magnet wire to feed the Audax tweeters. Only milliwatts are required. Past 100dB efficiency it is a different world. It is a simple augmented single driver setup, nothing fancy, but the First Watt F1J ten watt transconductance amp would be enough to drive a dozen of them.
    Who organised the amp?

eso,

RE post # 16

"I've been worried about over excursion. I have a pair of Gauss 4882 driver waiting to be installed which have greater power handling a double the excursion of the K151s."

I don't know where you took the excursion numbers for the JBL K151 and Gauss 4882, but if you compare apples with apples ( i.e. Xmax, linear displacement) then the JBL has 2.5 times the cone travel capability of the Gauss, as per the JBL TS table and Gauss spec sheet.

Gauss 4882: .040" = 1 mm vs JBL K151: 2.54 mm. So your concern might have to be the other way around.

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Hmm... internet is a funny place... along with old spec copy. JBL had a long published Vas zinger for the 145 woofer.

Also found: 4882A 18" 400W 8 102dB 28Hz 22.0 0.24 0.165" 0

from a different source... .165" is closer to 4mm which makes more sense to me than 1mm for a "400w" 18" driver. Perhaps the .040 was decimeters.
    Plug some numbers into a simulation... at 400w (the smaller of the various quoted power handling figures), you'd run out of steam at ~250Hz. reasonably ported OR sealed.
    Gauss put these in ~6ft3 ported cabs for bass guitar and even in Karlson enclosures.

So guessing a typo somewhere or something funny like it was -designed- to distort way before Xmech (which seems very unlikely).

An audiomart listing showed the following ... who knows where those numbers came from ... shrug (fwiw... the rest of the TS parameters hung together)

Cetec / Gauss 5181 Bass Guitar Bottom
    1 - 4882SX driver
    Slot-Loaded
    400 Watts RMS
    102 db
    8 ohms
    40-4000 Hz
    37 1/4" H x 24" W x 20" D
    100 lbs.

Cetec / Gauss 18" Bass Speakers / Woofers / Sub-Woofers / Sound Reinforcement Drivers.
    Model #4882SX
    8 ohm.
    Patent no. 225,069.
    Doped suspension surround.
    Field-serviceable voice coils.
    Develeoped by Bart Bingham and Ed May
    Vas [Liters]; Equivalent volume = 430 liters
    Qts; Total Q-factor = .2416
    Qes; Electrical Q-factor = .27
    Qms; Mechanical Q-factor = 2.3
    Fs [Hz]; Resonance Frequency = 33 Hz
    Approximate minumum power for nominal EQ accuracy = 20 watts rms.
    Max Power [W]; Maximum input power = 400 watts rms, 800 watts program, 1600 watts peak.
    xmax [mm]; Max excursion from center = 1mm
    Moving mass [g]; Weight of moving parts = 107.24 grams
    Disp area [m2]; SD, Effective piston area of cone = .119 m^2
    Re [ohm]; DC resistance = 6.7 ohms nominal.
    Z; Impedence of coil = 8 ohms dynamic, nominal.
    L [mH]; Inductance of coil = 1 mH
    Bl [Tm]; Magnetic strenth = 23.49 Tm
    Weight = 25lbs each.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Who organised the amp?
    I do love the F2J (thank you!) but as all but three of the original F1s were eventually converted to F1Js by Nelson Pass, I was on the lookout for a used bargain. It came from another geezer who chose his speakers poorly and felt his F1J did not "have enough power". I bought it for half price. Usually earlier used First Watts go for at least full new price or better, at least a few years ago when I last checked. It worked out so well I took my subwoofer out of the system.

So what do you listen to these days, how is your headphone rig working out?
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

RE post # 20

No material discrepancy or shenanigan in my view.

Not unusual for a large driver to have limited excursion capability, specially when its destined to horn loading as indicated on spec sheet attached (e.g. older 2220A/B/C).

Very high sensitivity (102 db) was priviledged here, not very low bass (btw remember Eargle's phrase i posted recently regarding high efficiency vs LF bandwidth being sacrificed).

At .24 Qts of 4882 is low, one may wonder if the driver would effectively make it down to 30 hz and with lots of output, personnaly i doubt.

As shown Xmax is what it is i think. The .165" (4 mm) is identified as Maximum excursion, which i understand as being Xlim, commonly known as the limit before driver damage. So one might think got another 3 mm in stock, great lets go. Not really. At Xmax (1 mm) you're already at 10% driver distortion (see note 1). Turning up the volume distortion increases even more, continuing such sooner than later the user will be "swimming" in distortion even though the driver hasn't given up mecanically yet...

Now put that in parallel with the fact that horn lovers usually appreciate the device's low distortion.....

Richard

Note 1: John Eargle, Loudspeaker Handbook, 2nd ed, p.64
    Attached Images Attached Images