Thread: 15" low frequency cabinet

15" low frequency cabinet

Hi all,I need some help with a 15" low frequency cabinet I'd like to build. I'd like it to cover approx 30hz-130hzThe drivers I can potentially buy are 2205, 2035 are 2225 It'll be running with my 4411s. I could cross my 4411s at 130hz( using my fixed internal xover in my preamp) then the 15" could take over from there.I have no experience designing boxes but can build boxes. Just wondering if there're plans available for something suitable.Is it worth trying to do something like this or am I just better off with an active sub?Any help much appreciated! Banga

Hello

The woofers you list are all general purpose and essentially would end up in 40Hz tuned boxes. Your best bet would be to get 2235's. That has the best LF response of the 15 drivers and were used in the large format monitors. Here is a reference for JBL enclosure plans and an article on subwoofers using the 2245 and 2235. You could look into the auto subwoofers as well some do like them.

130Hz is a bit high as a crossover point. You may have to place the subwoofers close to the mains so you don't hear 2 sources so keep that in mind.

It would be much easier to use an active subwoofer. By the time you buy the materials for the cabinet, drivers, amplifier it's going to get pricey.

Rob

https://www.lansingheritage.org/html.../jbl-plans.htm

https://www.lansingheritage.org/html.../1983-subs.htm
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply!I did look into the 2235 after reading the JBL enclosure guide.Problem is here in the UK JBL isn't so easy to get.Am I right in saying I could get a 2205 reconed to 2235? I can get a 2205 pretty cheap. Next problem is finding the recone kit.Are you familiar with the Upland 2236H recone kit? It's avaliable to buy.Planning to build the box out of MDF to save money and already have an amp to power it. Plus I enjoy building😃This will be strictly for music so I want it as musical as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Banga View Post
    Hi Rob, thanks for the reply!I did look into the 2235 after reading the JBL enclosure guide.Problem is here in the UK JBL isn't so easy to get.Am I right in saying I could get a 2205 reconed to 2235? I can get a 2205 pretty cheap. Next problem is finding the recone kit.Are you familiar with the Upland 2236H recone kit? It's avaliable to buy.Planning to build the box out of MDF to save money and already have an amp to power it. Plus I enjoy building😃This will be strictly for music so I want it as musical as possible.

I would talk to Upland they may have a core already you could purchase. I have not used the kit so I can't offer any advice there.

Good luck!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Are the 2234/35h on the NLA list now from JBL?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Are the 2234/35h on the NLA list now from JBL?
    Have been NLA for quite some time now.Fortunately Upland makes what is probably the closest-to-factory recone kit available for some of the JBL models where recone kits are no longer available, such as the 2234/35. Ken's ( Edgewound) kits also have no-rot surrounds as part of the design so that you wont be replacing foam surrounds that disintegrate after several years of use.

Thread Information