Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL D2430K Available

JBL D2430K Available

I confirmed with Melissa at Speaker Exchange that the JBL D2430K is back in stock if any one is looking for them. I ordered two for $767.68 which includes shipping.

Regards
    Al

JBL D2430Ks Arrive

Drivers arrived yesterday. Only took two days to receive them.

Regards

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like Christmas!

Widget

Al, Congratulations on getting the drivers. Many years ago, the "version" of the driver meant for use specific use in the M2, would have a sticker on the side that said something to the effect "for use on the M2". I got mine a couple of years ago and when I ordered the vendor double checked and assured me they were for use with the M2, but there was no "M2" sticker on the side. There are various theories on why the M2 sticker was added ...... many of these theories are about a decade old.Quick question, do your drivers have the "M2" sticker on the side?Thanks, -Tom

Hi

No they don't have a M2 sticker on the side. However, according to the part number 5032754X on the box it is correct for the M2. Hope that helps.

Regards

AL

Tom,

Attached are pictures of the box which does state M2 on it

Regards
    AL

Congratulations on picking up those drivers. I have not yet heard an M2 system but did listen to these on a pair of 4367s and thought they were excellent. Are you making a clone of one of those monitors?

I'm not sure yet but leaning towards the 4367 mainly because of the passive network The problem will probably be finding the horn for sale for it.

The M2 is dsp controlled and building a decent passive network for it will be difficult for me but, the horn for the M2 is available. I'd love to build a true M2 clone but the electronics cost is prohibitive for me. It may be possible to modify the 4367 network to use with the M2 horn.

I've got a lot of research to do while building my skills to accurately measure the speakers response.

Any guidance or suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by alskinner View Post
    The M2 is dsp controlled and building a decent passive network for it will be difficult for me but, the horn for the M2 is available. I'd love to build a true M2 clone but the electronics cost is prohibitive for me. It may be possible to modify the 4367 network to use with the M2 horn.
    It depends on what you call expensive, but you can probably replicate the original filtering closely enough using hypex fusion amps.

Thanks POS

According to the M2 system requirements for either two Crown I-Tech 5000HD at $7,043.96 each or one I-Tech 4x3500HD at $14,496.54 for a true clone. A little too expensive for me. I appreciate your suggestion and will definitely
    look into the hypex fusion amps.

Thanks
    AL

I'll throw this idea out since you're not sure yet. If you're not familiar with Joseph Crowe, he designs and builds wood horns in Canada. He also sells CAD files for his horns to allow diyers to 3D print the horns, or have them CNC cut locally. If money is tight, you could probably get a pair of these 3D printed locally for a few hundred dollars. Another member here recently did this with one of his 1" horns and they turned out good and measured well. Of course, if within your budget he could make you the wood horns...

https://josephcrowe.com/products/3d-...n-horn-no-1670

Quote Originally Posted by alskinner View Post
    According to the M2 system requirements for either two Crown I-Tech 5000HD at $7,043.96 each or one I-Tech 4x3500HD at $14,496.54 for a true clone.
    There are several other proven options available if you are ok to separate the amps and processors: BSS BLU, openDRC, DCX2496, etc.

I appreciate all your support. It has given me a lot to think about. I do have several amps. It will probably be a while before I actually build a system. I have the 2216s but still need the horns and adapters. My main goal right now is to get the parts before they are no longer available.

Right now I'm building a test stand for my 2441s and 2311 horns to see if it's worth while to integrate them in the 4344s. The shorter horns will better line up the 2235 and 2122 magnets and help remove the delay of using 2307 horn. It will be interesting to hear the difference.

Another project that is in the works is a DD55000 clone. I have pair of NOS E145s, 077s, and 2425hs but only have one 4660 horn. Not sure when and if I will find another one.

Regards
    AL

Variation on the M2

Attached are some pictures of the variation of the M2 I came up with. The cabinet is 46.5" H x 19.5" W x 13" D. Internal dimensions are 45"H x 18.25"W x 11.5"D which comes out to 5.46 cubic feet. I believe the M2 has an internal measurement of around 5.2 cubic feet. I did use 2" x 3 " internal bracing so that would bring down the cubic feet slightly. I used 3" Precision ports with a 8.4" length for a tuning frequency of 27hz. There is a 3/4" thick panel around the port area. I know some people curved it but I thought I would try it straight to see what the effect would be. The grill is a solid piece of 3/4 inch plywood with a 16.75" hole cut so that it fits over the woofer. This will also change the way the woofer acts and I'll need to take measurements to see what the effect it has. It also has the M2 crossover.

I bought I MiniDSP 2x4HD and hooked it up to a Threshold Stasis II and a Sunn SPL 9000 amp and made some basic xovers to get sound and not blow anything up. I now have a rudimentary understanding of how the DSP works so now the fun begins as I have a lot to learn and the ability to measure it is crucial to success. Will post more as the project progresses.

If this needs to be moved to a different area of the forum please do.

Regards
    AL

Cool!

I think you might want to consider the miniDSP Flex unit to take care of your needs. By all reports the version with Dirac Live is technically excellent. I bought a variant that I use as an A to D for an all digital system and am impressed with the quality. Not sure about the interface and learning curve on adjusting the settings as I haven't needed to dig into that level, but many other DIYers have had great success so you should be fine.

With the Flex version you should be able to take the info POS has posted on the M2 curves and get these dialed in to perfection and can use Dirac Live to correct any room issues. I believe the 2X4HD will only give you basic crossover functionality.

Widget

Thread Information