Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amplifier Recommendation for 2245H's?

My friend Steve built a quad of 2245 subwoofers using the Greg Timber article and specs a few years back.
    I believe he ran them with some refurbed Adcom 565 monoblocks ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    In general, amplifiers power supplies are switchable to work on 120v U.S. or 220v European. However, 220v European is different than 240V U.S. EU is 220v above ground, while U.S. 240v is two 120v leads in opposite phase, leaving 240v between them. You cannot mix the two. However, there are some really high power amps that will do 240v AC U.S. as well - Crown I-Tech comes to mind…
    Oh, so I wouldn't just be able to flip the switch for 220v and rock & roll? Haven't heard of the I-Tech, or maybe I have and just forgot. But if that's the only thing I can get to run on our weird 240V set-up then it's moot or I need to then have a dedicated socket just for that type of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    More current flows in the US 120 than 240 overseas. This means thicker gauge mains wire and bigger fuses all for more bass. More expense.

Are you looking outside the box?

I imagine that two or conceivable four 2245’s per side is a more efficient way to go. This assumes you have the space for 72 cu ft if bass enclosures. Once bass gets to really loud everything shakes. So how important is an ideal sub woofer?

A Danly Pro sub is an alternative. If you have the resources a large bass horn which is directional would be effective. Steve Schell demonstrated a large bass horn with a tiny 3 watt amplifier. Very loud.
    I've got no idea. I'm trying not to think at all audio wise at the moment. She's all fine and dandy if I don't want to blow myself into the wall. Waiting for myself to grow out of this phase.

No space available in the shit shack. Everything sure shakes. I've played just the subs and it's rather.. "whoa.." ("...let's just fire those 813C's back up and pretend I didn't hear that..") So far, only one thing has fallen from it's location. Most just kind of rotate around as if somebody meddled with them. Never had that problem before. Angie says she can hear & feel the system from the car when she pulls up in the driveway. No visits from the police, yet. I make sure to knock my nonsense off by 10PM or so. Fortunately, my house has shoulder room from my neighbors so I'm not right on 'em.

About three months ago I'd say it wasn't important! Now I'm all, "Whoa, this is great!" and then come to find I might have issues with power delivery. Checked into Danly Pro. Guess I'd like to stay with an 18" monster for appearance purposes. That puts me in a pair of TH118XL's. Recommended amplifier for those is one capable of 1700 watts, so that's a no-go on that tiperooski. Don't even want to know what Mr. Danley wants for just one of those. Most likely too rich for my blood at the moment and for the unforeseen future. Not to mention if I'm going to get an amplifier that nutso, why not just feed it to the 2245H's?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    My friend Steve built a quad of 2245 subwoofers using the Greg Timber article and specs a few years back.
    I believe he ran them with some refurbed Adcom 565 monoblocks ...
    Oh wow, complete with the little train tracks for the speaker wires. Someone is drinking the Kool-aid Stuff sure looks nice though. Probably more money there than in my entire house. LoL this is why I never compete. Because just when I start to think I've earned the warmth of the chair under my ass through all my sweat and tears, someone else comes along and eclipses me like I wasn't even there or trying.

With resources and imagination, anything is possible. However, not in my tax bracket or zipcode. I need cooler friends in which to live through vicariously.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Oh wow, complete with the little train tracks for the speaker wires. Someone is drinking the Kool-aid Stuff sure looks nice though. Probably more money there than in my entire house. LoL this is why I never compete. Because just when I start to think I've earned the warmth of the chair under my ass through all my sweat and tears, someone else comes along and eclipses me like I wasn't even there or trying.

With resources and imagination, anything is possible. However, not in my tax bracket or zipcode. I need cooler friends in which to live through vicariously.
    Well, he had a shop rebuild the Adcom Amps for him, which apparently is a thing because the caps fail and soak the circuit boards with their weepage.
    He built the boxes himself, and its quite a nice looking stack.

And - the sound is pretty amazing as well, even before the Legacy speakers and Wavelet Preamp/processor arrived.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Oh I don't doubt it, bet it's incredible. Seeing stuff like that and then experiencing it for the first time is akin to going from a 20" black and white console TV from the 50's to full HD on a 72" screen complete with surround sound. You just gotta stand back and be all, "Whoa.. I didn't know this was even possible." So for me, that comes up as well as the feeling of, "Hmm, yeah maybe I don't belong.."

I've heard that about the 'Coms. I popped the hoods off of mine, I didn't see any pixie juice so I'm still squeaking by with them as they are. Although I do keep trying to retire them! But every other soldier I pop into the line ends up taking shrapnel, so the old guard ends up taking guard each time that happens.

Thread Information