Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 43xx Charged Coupled Network Boards

JBL 43xx Charged Coupled Network Boards

I've been wanting to do this to my 4343's for a long time now and wondered why no one has offered something like these boards that just showed up in my ebay feed. Does anyone here have experience with these specific boards/networks, or with Echo Mountain Audio? Ebay listing:https://www.ebay.com/itm/325442735517Slightly Website:https://echomountainaudio.com/collec...bl-4300-series

Not all parts are the same size. Some may fit others may not.

There is an attached appendix that lists the parts used for the layout.

If you choose to use other parts verify the sizes.

From their site.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    What specific parts are they laid out for. Not all parts are the same size. Some may fit others may not. Rob
    EDIT: You updated your reply and beat me to mentioning the Appendix with parts. I would definitely follow it verbatim. Seems to be very well thought out. Example sent of a completed board that was built for use externally in it's own box, which is what I'd like to do.

I think I'm going to go for it. I noticed in the appendix it specifies different components for different 43xx models.For my 4343's would I want to do the 4344/45 spec instead of 4343 spec if I'm using all original 4343 drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by VinylGroove View Post
    I think I'm going to go for it. I noticed in the appendix it specifies different components for different 43xx models.For my 4343's would I want to do the 4344/45 spec instead of 4343 spec if I'm using all original 4343 drivers?
    I infer from your question that you wonder if the 4344-45 crossover is an improvement of a general crossover for the four-way 43xx monitors—like a 43xx crossover 2.0.No, it isn't. The crossovers derive from the task of making a given set of drivers work well together, so using the original set for the 4343 you would follow that crossover schematic.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    I infer from your question that you wonder if the 4344-45 crossover is an improvement of a general crossover for the four-way 43xx monitors—like a 43xx crossover 2.0.No, it isn't. The crossovers derive from the task of making a given set of drivers work well together, so using the original set for the 4343 you would follow that crossover schematic.
    Thanks, I went ahead and bought the boards and all components are on their way for 4343 spec. If anyone is curious, the Solen caps & inductors, Mills resistors, etc. were about $1500 shipped.

Are you building the crossover in or outside the enclosure?

Given the presentation of those pcbs l personal would put a clear perspex sheet on top of an external crossover housing and show it off to your friends.

Thanks for your interest in the boards! You definitely did the right thing by following the 4343 column of the parts list instead of the 4344/4345 configuration. By using the parts listed in the 4343 column, you'll have a charge-coupled crossover with voltage drives equivalent to the stock 3143 network. If you ever did update your drivers to 4344 specs, you could then modify the crossover components accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Are you building the crossover in or outside the enclosure?Given the presentation of those pcbs l personal would put a clear perspex sheet on top of an external crossover housing and show it off to your friends.
    Ian, this is exactly what I plan to do with my own, eventually (mine are still in the silly little MDF "test sled" configuration that Vinyl_Groove showed in the image below, with my early version of the boards that I just made for myself). In the meantime, fellow Lansing Heritage user Ricpan has done exactly this with the enclosures that he's built around our crossover PCBs. Adding a link to his post on another JBL-related group since image uploads don't see to be working (hope that's okay): https://www.facebook.com/groups/JBLA...1826193668636/
    https://www.echomountainaudio.com
    Charge-Coupled Crossover PCBs

Yes, I'm definitely building/buying a box to house the crossovers in. Super excited for this. Here are images from that FB post. I can't seem to post attachments either, but can link them using img tags.

Weird - I tried using the img tags, and the images didn't show up, but glad it worked for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Not all parts are the same size. Some may fit others may not. There is an attached appendix that lists the parts used for the layout. If you choose to use other parts verify the sizes.From their site.Rob
    Good advice, Rob, and thanks for checking out the user manual. Most reasonably sized polypropylene caps should fit -- you can see some purple ClarityCaps in the pics below that were used by Ricpan in place of the stock Solens (just because he had them on hand) -- but as you said, definitely check the sizes before purchasing anything alternative to what's shown in the included parts list!

In lieu of the attachment in your post, here's a link to where the user manual lives, so that one can always access the latest version: https://echomountainaudio.com/pages/downloads

By the way, boards for the 4425, 4430, and 4435 are currently in the works...

Yes, I'm definitely building/buying a box to house the crossovers in. Super excited for this.]
    Let us know when you do! I'm really curious and excited to see all the creative ways these are going to get integrated into various systems.

Boards

I might add these boards are solid and more then support the weight of the components. It an easy build. I wish I had them when I built my first set of cc crossovers. The instructions and documentation make it easy even for a hack like me. I don't have a horse in the race just a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricpan View Post
    I might add these boards are solid and more then support the weight of the components. It an easy build. I wish I had them when I built my first set of cc crossovers. The instructions and documentation make it easy even for a hack like me. I don't have a horse in the race just a happy camper.
    That's great to hear. I'm good at following instructions but not as good at testing a completed electronic project or diagnosing issues, so I'll follow very closely and hope for the best when it's done.

That's great to hear. I'm good at following instructions but not as good at testing a completed electronic project or diagnosing issues, so I'll follow very closely and hope for the best when it's done.
    Always feel free to contact me via email (email address listed in the user manual) or through the contact page on the site, and I'll be happy to provide any guidance you need.

Thread Information