Thread: End of the Line

End of the Line

After 40 years of effing around with ever evolving active systems, I’m done. It’s time to downsize and simplify. I’m going to get something skinnier, taller with passive crossovers and possibly a better WAF. I”d like to thank past and present members whose posts made the system better than I could have done on my own. I have no doubt that there are other forum members that could still get more out of the components. The final system config was a 2.5 way. 2x W1500H 800W class D, 2x 1500Al 100W class A SS, 2x 476Be/H4338 25W low gain tube amp. It wasn’t perfect but it did a lot of things well. For someone who seldom listens to levels at or above 85dB, it was also a tad bit of overkill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Wow! Sorry to hear it, but I understand completely!

If you changed your maximum SPL to "occasionally north of 100dB", I could just about quote you and it would be true for me as well.
    I haven't given up on my big, overly complicated system just yet, but I have thought of it. My skinny and high WAF "compact theater" system is getting much more playing time than the big system these days... but trust me. You will miss it.

When I go downstairs and fire up all those amps running Class A and all of the rest of the gear required to play the system... it sure does sound damned fine!

Widget

"We're going to need a bigger boat (house)" :-)

I know where you are. Just let my big monitor/sub system go to a younger member here. It's missed but living on. I have one more (much) smaller project to try and squeeze into the living room with some 1" TAD drivers and probably 12" woofers.

Quote Originally Posted by jbljfan View Post
    After 40 years of effing around with ever evolving active systems, I’m done. It’s time to downsize and simplify. I’m going to get something skinnier, taller with passive crossovers and possibly a better WAF...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...My skinny and high WAF "compact theater" system is getting much more playing time than the big system these days... but trust me. You will miss it...
    You know, I considered the former champions of my living room (XPL200's) to have the highest WAF of any speakers which have lived there. So when I first considered how rusty's set-up would look in there I was blown away when my fiancée was ecstatic about them. First for her it was the thrill of a non-stop road trip but then she was convinced they would look "killer" in the living room. "Sure we have enough space! Get some measuring tape!" I'd say if it wasn't for her, I would've missed the opportunity, so for that I am grateful beyond words. Once we set them up we were both floored by their appearance. She and I love the look, her daughters too. Monoliths or something, like perhaps we should worship them weekly or something. We've sat there under the influence of adult beverages and listened & tuned. Thanks to her golden ears I've got them squared away. (I did the final touches ) But the difference was with everyone's reaction who has seen them. "Whoa.." My dad who initially gave me a lot of static for them, "Who the hell goes across country for some ancient speakers? They are going to destroy the look of your living room! Nobody needs speakers that big! Why blue? Can't you paint that? I hope you didn't pay very much for those. I would've given them away." Buuut every time he has visited, he has liked their appearance more and more. He's asked me about their history and remarks about how "cool" they are. He is blown away by their sound quality. I've never seen the man put on ear plugs just so he could be blown into the opposing wall haha. "The bass.. Whoa.." And now he brings over different stuff for me to play because he wants to hear how it sounds on "the monitors." He has never done that before, with anything I've owned or shown him. So kind of funny how he's turned around.Definitely a big sound, magical in the bass department, like you're standing in front of a drum kit when you listen. Enamored with ZZ Tops' Tejas album as result. Those B-sides are absolutely incredible. Can't say enough about their sensitivity either, limiting factor is no longer my amplifiers, but my ears. And at lower levels, I am beyond impressed with how dynamic they are. I don't miss my XPL's, they had perhaps a bit smoother and warmer presentation in the mid to upper midrange, but now they will live happily doing HT duty downstairs. Funny, because while I thought those things were dynamic and revealing, they were surpassed in that department by the 813C's. Makes me wonder why studios moved away from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    "We're going to need a bigger boat (house)" :-)I know where you are. Just let my big monitor/sub system go to a younger member here. It's missed but living on. I have one more (much) smaller project to try and squeeze into the living room with some 1" TAD drivers and probably 12" woofers.
    Jamming on indeed! Thank you, Rusty!!

Memory Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

trust me. You will miss it.

Widget
    Without a doubt. I still miss the slam from the early days using JBL pro drivers. The consumer drivers are downright laid back in comparison. I won’t claim the systems were HiFi but, damn they were a lot of fun.
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Thread Information