Thread: Jewel-Box Heroes: Why the CD Revival Is Finally Here

Jewel-Box Heroes: Why the CD Revival Is Finally Here

Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Yep, still have most of the CD's I have ever bought. They are in storage, but I have them if my network collapses and I need physical media. (Insert smilie here)

Widget

Sorry, formatting as in paragraphs, seems to be still not working............I never gave up. The only LPs I ever bought since the advent of the CD were those that just aren't available on CD. Some CDs were bought to replace LPs I already owned. Some of those were horribly disappointing. Oddly, one of those was Astral Weeks, praised in the article. Others were awe-inspiring, like Brothers in Arms, which I own on LP, CD, and SACD. One of the earliest DDD recordings that just seem to pop on CD (or not pop like an LP would after abused by others).Some albums I delayed purchasing until I won my first CD player in a Porsche sales contest. That was the first Magnavox-badged Philips. My next was the Sony CDP-101. I still have both, though not sure they were working as designed when last played decades ago. Donald Fagen and Steely Dan were artists who, for me, were born with the CD. When I hear people tell me how much "warmer" LPs sound, just throw a blanket over whatever speaker we were listening to and ask: "Is that better?"Consensual validation of my personal media taste after all these years is nice to hear, but not necessary for me to continue to enjoy the format that freed me from constant disc preening and the awful fumbling Thorens called cuing levers, just to get 20-minutes of music—and then do it all over again.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Colleagues, I have to say that I'm pleased that CD sales are surging. May be SACD's will come back as well. However I'll not be holding my breath
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    ...When I hear people tell me how much "warmer" LPs sound, just throw a blanket over whatever speaker we were listening to and ask: "Is that better?"Consensual validation of my personal media taste after all these years is nice to hear, but not necessary for me to continue to enjoy the format that freed me from constant disc preening and the awful fumbling Thorens called cuing levers, just to get 20-minutes of music—and then do it all over again.
    Right, I've always looked at playing LP's as an experience, not a preference. I do not think they sound better, but it is an enjoyable thing to do with a group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    Colleagues, I have to say that I'm pleased that CD sales are surging. May be SACD's will come back as well. However I'll not be holding my breath
    Across all genres of music or a select few? I was wondering how people are getting their music. I've never bought a digital album, always CD's or LP's.

Derek, Since my genre of choice is classical, that's what I am interested in. There is no reason for SACD to be limited to a select few unless only a select few will buy them. I also see no reason for record companies to be charging an outrageous premium for SACD's.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    Derek, Since my genre of choice is classical, that's what I am interested in. There is no reason for SACD to be limited to a select few unless only a select few will buy them. I also see no reason for record companies to be charging an outrageous premium for SACD's.
    SACD has had a rocky commercial history. I think it was Mobile Fidelity that bet the farm on the system, creating complete studio facilities to produce it and literally going bankrupt when it did not take off. In Japan, it has fallen victim to the Japanese disc practice (mirrored by many of their CDs as well) of producing only a thousand copies of a title. All this certainly tends to drive the price up. The system is very popular in another arena. DSD is of course the sound method in all Blu-ray releases, but only a handful of playback devices allow for native DSD out without being converted - or read with a different laser from a separate PCM track - to PCM output. Like with a hybrid SACD.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    SACD has had a rocky commercial history. I think it was Mobile Fidelity that bet the farm on the system, creating complete studio facilities to produce it and literally going bankrupt when it did not take off. In Japan, it has fallen victim to the Japanese disc practice (mirrored by many of their CDs as well) of producing only a thousand copies of a title. All this certainly tends to drive the price up. The system is very popular in another arena. DSD is of course the sound method in all Blu-ray releases, but only a handful of playback devices allow for native DSD out without being converted - or read with a different laser from a separate PCM track - to PCM output. Like with a hybrid SACD.
    Right. It was sabotaged in a lot of ways, including self-inflected. There was also cheating in some players, detected by Stereophile, converting to PCM for internal DA conversion. But I think that over all, the worst of it was that SACD was licensed in players with cheesy analog output sections. People weren't hearing the difference.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information