Thread: M2 or K2 - Pick your Poison

M2 or K2 - Pick your Poison

When I first heard the M2s I was a little underwhelmed I guess I was expecting a larger SQ differential than my current speakers - read too many internet posts, I suspect.

I spent a couple of days trying to integrate the M2 / SUB18 with the room the SQ was not up to my expectations. I then added the DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033S-II with the subs which solved the room modes just leaving the integration between the 2216/2269. In the end with my room the smoothest sound came with a high/low pass at 55 Hz and a LZ 24 dB slope. With a delay of 5.7 ms on the M2s the sound stage / image snaped in to place. I started the delay at 3 ms and walked the M2 back so to speak (increasing the delay 1 foot at a time). It really is quite amazing how the SQ was getting better and better and then all of a sudden, the magic appears and envelops you, the change in the SQ is not subtle.

The M2 has a large sound stage / imaging with absolute ruthlessness to the audio signal everything is revealed there is no hiding. I can see how these are killer in a recording studio. I do like the sound but many would find it too much on the razors edge with most people having never heard anything like it. IMO you need a sub with them it really pushes the SQ to another level -> enveloping and effortless.

I rolled the K2s in to the mix yesterday and was amazed… I haven’t had them in the mix for a few months. The 1500AL-1 / 2269 integration was different. I left the high/low pass at 55 Hz with the 2269 using LZ 24 dB slope and the 1500AL-1 with a LZ 12 dB slope. This combination between the two woofers is close to seamless. The bottom end was now articulate, fast and powerful much better than the M2s 2216s.

Once the subs were integrated you get the same SQ in the terms of envelopment and large sound stage / imaging -> magic. I guess since I had been listening to the M2s for a few weeks I was really tuned in to the imaging aspect of the sound. I was shocked at how close the K2s were to the M2 with sound stage / imaging not quite as sharp or on the razors edge but definitely in the same ball park. The K2s are just so much smoother with the SQ over the whole spectrum much more pleasant to listen to and really not giving up much to the M2s – IMO.

//Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Two excellent poisons to be sure. Thanks for sharing your experience with both these speakers!Widget

Thread Information