Thread: Straightening a bent basket 2206

Straightening a bent basket 2206

I have received a 2206 through the mail which has been inadequately packed for transport, it was obviously dropped at some point and the chassis has a slight bend in it. after much checking and measuring i think I can straighten it. About 1/4 of the rim is slightly raised and pushed in by about 3mm or 1/8inch. i am going to make a gig to bolt the woofer to and attempt to pull the bend out. has anyone else any experience doing this or similar? Ta Greg

Cast aluminum? Some possibility of fracture. Generous application of heat might help as long as you don't start melting plastic bits.

When people straighten alloy wheels they usually just bang on them with a big hammer.

So i have successfully straightened the jbl basket I made a jig out of 25mm mdf to mount the woofer on, the basket was bolted face down with 5 bolts, I made a bracket/hook out of metal to hook under the lip where the gasket was, this was then held in place with some small G clamps, this hook was connect via a chain to a 2lb hammer. i was then able to yank on the hammer in the desired direction to tug the bend out, It took quite an effort and number of pulls but its perfect now. I have had to replace the gasket. Tried to upload a couple of pictures but no luck, I resized to around 40kb and less than 1000 pixels wide.

Quote Originally Posted by greg32 View Post
    So i have successfully straightened the jbl basket I made a jig out of 25mm mdf to mount the woofer on, the basket was bolted face down with 5 bolts, I made a bracket/hook out of metal to hook under the lip where the gasket was, this was then held in place with some small G clamps, this hook was connect via a chain to a 2lb hammer. i was then able to yank on the hammer in the desired direction to tug the bend out, It took quite an effort and number of pulls but its perfect now. I have had to replace the gasket. Tried to upload a couple of pictures but no luck, I resized to around 40kb and less than 1000 pixels wide.
    Yeah, the forum is broken.

Check out Earl K's post 26 in this thread: https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...ad-error/page2

Widget

Thanks Mr Widget i think it worked!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Always worth the effort to try and save a piece of industrial art. BRAVO! I always attempt to repair anything before discarding it. On the first truly significant job I got after leaving the Navy, which was building and installing specialized electronic systems on military bases, I had a great boss name of Jack, who had two great slogans that the crew was expected to live up to. #1 was "If we can't fix it, it ain't broken." #2 was "There is only one thing on this job that you CAN'T do." "And what is that?", the new guys would ask. Answer: Work Here. BTW, what function is that driver utilized for? Is it a killer midrange in a pro sound system?
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Thread Information