Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heather's new L200 JBL Dynamics Project

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    One of the gents from AK came by for a listen the other day and said that he had just heard a $100,000+ system (with $40K monoblocks) that could not image like this. They image better than Big Red Super 604s, tri-amped.

He has 604 Hollywoods, big ADS, and ??? and said that he would have to re-assess everything.
    While I do not dispute that your system may provide better imaging (though different listeners may have different ideas about what that term means) than several other systems regardless of cost, let's look at what imaging is for a second.

In the past folks claimed that a speaker imaged better if it was omni directional, or semi-omnidirectional like the Bose 901, or if the speaker was a dipole like a Maggie or electrostatic panel, or if the baffle was stepped for better time alignment like the Dahlquist DQ10, or had radiused or softened corners to avoid edge diffraction like the KEF 105 and original B&W 801, or it would be improved by probably a dozen other factors.

Today it is pretty widely understood that imaging is most influenced by the room, the loudspeaker's directivity, and their interaction.

With that understanding, I can certainly see how your controlling the radiation pattern of the Air Motion Transformer will effect the imaging, but that alone will not give you great imaging. You must also have a great room and you must have done everything else right too. Well done.

Widget

Room is large (~5,000 cu ft) and symmetrically arranged.

Yes I do time alignment between the 2241H, 2251J, and Heil. Also, the 2251 is in a narrow cabinet with rounded edges. The detail that a 2251 can convey is unreal.

I don't believe in anything that produces a rear wave to bounce willy-nilly around the room and smear the images, though the 2251s do have rear ports. The Heils also had flairs added.

Room is large (~5,000 cu ft) and symmetrically arranged.

Yes I do time alignment between the 2241H, 2251J, and Heil. Also, the 2251 is in a narrow cabinet with rounded edges. The detail that a 2251 can convey is unreal.

I don't believe in anything that produces a rear wave to bounce willy-nilly around the room and smear the images, though the 2251s do have rear ports. The Heils also had flairs added.
    That is a big room! Of course so is your typical airport terminal and we've all heard how bad they sound.

You must also have your system positioned optimally and likely have well controlled first reflections.

I think you missed my point about time alignment and rounded corners, but the physical controls you've placed on the tweeters along with the 10" drivers crossed over at ~3K are probably going a long way towards achieving your goal.

Widget

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That is a big room! Of course so is your typical airport terminal and we've all heard how bad they sound.

You must also have your system positioned optimally and likely have well controlled first reflections.

I think you missed my point about time alignment and rounded corners, but the physical controls you've placed on the tweeters along with the 10" drivers crossed over at ~3K are probably going a long way towards achieving your goal.

Widget
    PM I received on Audiogon yesterday:

Dear toddalin,
    I hope you are not upset by our posts in "Big speakers" thread. Your recording "Time" sounds great and better than many 6 figure sound systems.

You mentioned "my technology." My tech is in cables. My power cords influence much in my system. However, I haven't heard my power cords in other people's system many times so far. So, I love to hear your system and compare sounds with and without my power cords.

Please let me know if it is OK I come to your place. I think our meeting can be done in less than 1 hour.
    Alex/Wavetouch audio

PM I received on Audiogon yesterday:

Dear toddalin,
    I hope you are not upset by our posts in "Big speakers" thread. Your recording "Time" sounds great and better than many 6 figure sound systems.

You mentioned "my technology." My tech is in cables. My power cords influence much in my system. However, I haven't heard my power cords in other people's system many times so far. So, I love to hear your system and compare sounds with and without my power cords.

Please let me know if it is OK I come to your place. I think our meeting can be done in less than 1 hour.
    Alex/Wavetouch audio
    Well I don’t want to hijack this thread any further than we already have, so I will send you a PM.

Widget

Hello Toddalin

Why don't you start a new thread to let us know how it goes??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Toddalin

Why don't you start a new thread to let us know how it goes??

Rob
    The problem is that he makes/sells power cords and I have a 30 amp locking plug which is not compatible and when the entertainment center is assembled, there is no plug access. The entertainment system is on a dedicated 20 amp breaker with 8-gauge romex and no splices along the line. The two 20 amp hospital outlets are also on this line with no breaks/splices in the line from the breaker.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c3bc4fb0f9.jpg

The problem is that he makes/sells power cords and I have a 30 amp locking plug which is not compatible and when the entertainment center is assembled, there is no plug access. The entertainment system is on a dedicated 20 amp breaker with 8-gauge romex and no splices along the line. The two 20 amp hospital outlets are also on this line with no breaks/splices in the line from the breaker.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c3bc4fb0f9.jpg
    Sounds like you made the correct choices already. If you can "over size" the wiring between your panel and your audio gear on a dedicated circuit you should have maximized your system's performance from a power input side and adding a fancy cable will do nothing.

There are cases where you need to add an isolation transformer and use star grounding for your room(s), this sort of thing is common in studio complexes, but for our needs, you have gone the extra mile and covered your bases. Well done.

Widget

Nice Heather!!

I've been seeing this room for many years now from just a single perspective // and now getting to see it from the overhead, is a real eye-opener >> so thanks for that!

Very Cool!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice drone shot!

I imagine the books and bookcases behind the listening position make the room sound pretty good.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Nice Heather!!

I've been seeing this room for many years now from just a single perspective // and now getting to see it from the overhead, is a real eye-opener >> so thanks for that!

Very Cool!

Nice overview.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Sounds like you made the correct choices already. If you can "over size" the wiring between your panel and your audio gear on a dedicated circuit you should have maximized your system's performance from a power input side and adding a fancy cable will do nothing.

There are cases where you need to add an isolation transformer and use star grounding for your room(s), this sort of thing is common in studio complexes, but for our needs, you have gone the extra mile and covered your bases. Well done.

Widget
    From the power cord manufacturer:

Hi toddalin,
    I am sorry for late reply!

Thank you for details of your system. It seems changing something different to your system could result badly. I decide not listen my pc with your system at this time. I am very cautious with other people's systems since they are delicate.

Thank you for your help and we will still have a fun in A'gon.
    Alex / WTA

Thread Information