Thread: Refinishing aluminum 075 tweeter

Refinishing aluminum 075 tweeter

I'd like to diassamble 075 tweeter in order to refinish the aluminum bullet and cone. Can anyone advise a procedure that doesn't disrupt the integrity of the tweeter? Thx!

Name:  20221009_103127.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  20221009_103140.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  20221009_103239.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  73.1 KB

The bullet nose should just unscrew (counter-clockwise) without much effort, but it has been on there perhaps half a century so you might need to grab it with one of those rubber can-opening helpers. I'd probably try some (brass) "steel" wool and see what you get. Obviously you won't' want to mess with those original red-wax seals. Often the Japanese restorers will polish the aluminum to a chrome-like shine or even plate them in gold. I'm assuming you just want them to look like they looked when new.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Phil,

That's bad advice to give to "hifi".

Unscrewing that central phase plug will twist//grind the base of the phase-plug against the inner//central clamping ring of the diaphragm and then distort the working portion of the diaphragm ( ultimately ruining it's performance ).

Complete ( careful ) disassembly is required here all with the attendant loss of value ( due to losing the red wax-plugs ) just to gain a more pleasing look.

Here's what happens with twisting;

Earl, thanks for the advice and glad I didn't jump in! What would you suggest for a refinishing procedure without diassambley?

My advice is to leave it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Phil,

That's bad advice to give to "hifi".

Unscrewing that central phase plug will twist//grind the base of the phase-plug against the inner//central clamping ring of the diaphragm and then distort the working portion of the diaphragm ( ultimately ruining it's performance ).

Complete ( careful ) disassembly is required here all with the attendant loss of value ( due to losing the red wax-plugs ) just to gain a more pleasing look.

Thanks for the correction. But it begs the question: What is the original order of assembly? Or is it meant never to come apart without diaphragm replacement?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks for the correction. But it begs the question: What is the original order of assembly? Or is it meant never to come apart without diaphragm replacement?

[A] Remove the rear decal hiding the through-bolt that holds the phase plug in-place ( here; the "phase-plug" = bullet-shaped nose-cone .

[B] Remove the outer horn next ( this means, removing the 4x wax seals ).

[C] While firmly holding the phase-plug to prevent it from turning ) remove the central screw/bolt.

[D] Carefully lift phase-plug ( straight-off ) of the central clamping-ring of the diaphragm

[E] Diaphragm is now ready to be un-soldered

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    [A] Remove the rear decal hiding the through-bolt that holds the phase plug in-place ( here; the "phase-plug" = bullet-shaped nose-cone .

[B] Remove the outer horn next ( this means, removing the 4x wax seals ).

[C] While firmly holding the phase-plug to prevent it from turning ) remove the central screw/bolt.

[D] Carefully lift phase-plug ( straight-off ) of the central clamping-ring of the diaphragm

[E] Diaphragm is now ready to be un-soldered

Thanks again. Once more JBL hides the goodies under a foil-cal!
    Mine are about 65-years-old. I think I'll leave them be.

Thread Information