Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this guy dreaming or am I out to lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I remember growing up, the fastest car in 1967 was a GTO tri-power which could do 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. (Google currently says it is 6.6)
    The least powerful BMW I sell today will do 6.3 and that's an SUV rated at 228HP.
    My 1975 Pontiac Trans Am with an automatic and 400 cu in engine took over 11 seconds to hit 60!!!

Today my 3400 pound 315hp VW Golf R will do it in under 4 seconds according to Car and Driver… Can’t say, but I certainly hang on when I put my foot into it. All that is big fun, but as you know seriously powerful brakes that don’t fade are what makes it possible to go way faster!

Widget

Everything is giving way to the SUV and Utes at least over here.

Bad ass is popular particularly in the SUV 4wd segment. My V8 Nissan Patrol in the pic below does 0-60 mph in 6.2 seconds. 400 hp is crazy on sand. Electronically limited to 135 mph. Not bad for a 2.8 tonne 4wd.

The big RAM pickups are gaining popularity here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Wolf View Post
    As I do live and work in Canadian dollars that is a large amount of money. I only have what I can listen to music with but, I can well imagine for some it is something beyond. I just never considered a vintage piece of audio equipment to be in the same league as a vintage automobile. I have owned some vintage gear over time. For instance a Marantz 8 and 7b. Together they can still be had for under $10,000, maybe less. Supply and demand will be the arbiter.

Bernard
    In 2010 I had a lead on a mint pair of 4350’s, but lost the sale as I couldn’t match the $12,500 the seller was getting for them by sending them from the East Coast of the US to Italy. I’m frankly glad I didn’t get them, as I wouldn’t have liked them, but they are rare and really well built which would make clean pairs very collectible.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I remember growing up, the fastest car in 1967 was a GTO tri-power which could do 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. (Google currently says it is 6.6)
    The least powerful BMW I sell today will do 6.3 and that's an SUV rated at 228HP.
    Today, just about everything is a four door'd SUV, car or pick-up. If it weren't for the badges on the front & back, I'd never know what it was. Tire technology in 1967 was shite, I bet with better tires that GTO would be faster. The BMW doesn't have the sexy lines or it's own cool song though.. "...Little GTO You're really lookin' fine Three deuces and a four-speed And a three-eighty-nine Listen to her tachin' up now Listen to her whine C'mon and turn it on, wind it up, blow it out, GTO.. Yeah, yeah little GTO...

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    In 2010 I had a lead on a mint pair of 4350’s, but lost the sale as I couldn’t match the $12,500 the seller was getting for them by sending them from the East Coast of the US to Italy. I’m frankly glad I didn’t get them, as I wouldn’t have liked them, but they are rare and really well built which would make clean pairs very collectible.
    Why wouldn't you have liked them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    My 1975 Pontiac Trans Am with an automatic and 400 cu in engine took over 11 seconds to hit 60!!! …Widget
    1975 was a sad year for “performance “ cars in the US. It was a big emissions hit year with obviously little understanding of how to work within the new restrictions. The Corvette had a whopping 175 HP that year. 0.5 HP per cubic inch. If you ever drove one you would guess they even lied about that they were so anemic.

The Google machine says your 6L TA should have made it to 60 in a blistering 9.6 seconds.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    …The BMW doesn't have the sexy lines or it's own cool song though…
    Are we crazy Americans in the minority who write songs about cars? Not being a world traveler or world music guy I don’t really know. ? Hell we have a mega hit song about an engine! The Chevrolet 409

I by the way love my 4350’s, especially with a big proper horn sitting on top.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Are we crazy Americans in the minority who write songs about cars? Not being a world traveler or world music guy I don’t really know. ? Hell we have a mega hit song about an engine! The Chevrolet 409

Barry.
    I'm not sure, but it does seem the songs written here about cars are more popular and well known. Tons of car songs out there thanks to the car culture that was ours back in those days. And for decades Europeans have been importing vintage American cars. We must've done something right in those days. Yep, songs about 409's, Super Stock Dodges racing Corvettes, Nash Ramblers, Hot Rod Lincolns, you name it. Love the way an American V8 with a healthy cam sounds- juggity-juggity-juggity.

But you’re not playing with one that is very close to stock, right?

A couple of decades ago I built a very close DIY clone of the 4355… I put a 2397 and then a Westlake style horn on top. It did some amazing things, but it wasn’t a keeper for me.

Widget

1975 was a sad year for “performance “ cars in the US. It was a big emissions hit year with obviously little understanding of how to work within the new restrictions. The Corvette had a whopping 175 HP that year. 0.5 HP per cubic inch. If you ever drove one you would guess they even lied about that they were so anemic.

The Google machine says your 6L TA should have made it to 60 in a blistering 9.6 seconds.
    I don't actually remember how slow that '75 Trans Am was in numbers and pulled the 11 seconds from the web, but I do remember my buddies with older Camaros blasting past. On a smooth road the TA had remarkable handling for the times and I could lose them on curvy roads, but throw in a few bumps and the stiff solid axel rear end jumped around like a pickup truck.

It was impressive when you put your foot into it. The turbo hydramatic downshifted quickly, the shaker hood scoop plowed to the right and the engine roared... but that was about it. Interestingly during that time my mother bought the first generation Honda Accord. In 5th gear on the highway if you floored it, no one in the cabin would be aware of it. The engine sound change was imperceptible and the acceleration, if you can call it that, was so subtle that it too was imperceptible. Dropping down to 4th gear and punching it, the engine sound changed pitch and if you were very observant you might notice the acceleration.

Dark times for cars, that's for sure!

Widget

But you’re not playing with one that is very close to stock, right… Widget
    Well the 2405’s are stock haha. You’re right. These are much modified. I actually don’t think about that since I don’t use them that often and they have been this way so long.

Barry.

I don't actually remember how slow that '75 Trans Am was in numbers and pulled the 11 seconds from the web, but I do remember my buddies with older Camaros blasting past. On a smooth road the TA had remarkable handling for the times and I could lose them on curvy roads, but throw in a few bumps and the stiff solid axel rear end jumped around like a pickup truck.

It was impressive when you put your foot into it. The turbo hydramatic downshifted quickly, the shaker hood scoop plowed to the right and the engine roared... but that was about it...
    Oh wow, so you bought that car new? Mind sharing any pics with us if you still have them? What color? Options? Did you order it or pick it off the lot? They were still very cool looking cars and at the least, you could still do burnouts. '75 would've been the "Poncho" 400 and not the Olds 403, right? I remember reading somewhere that by '78 or '79 it was a crap-shoot as to which one you ended up with. Heard the 400 could be made respectable by deleting omissions stuff, a little carb tuning and some timing advance. I'd love to have a '77 or '78, Formula flavor even.

...Interestingly during that time my mother bought the first generation Honda Accord. In 5th gear on the highway if you floored it, no one in the cabin would be aware of it. The engine sound change was imperceptible and the acceleration, if you can call it that, was so subtle that it too was imperceptible. Dropping down to 4th gear and punching it, the engine sound changed pitch and if you were very observant you might notice the acceleration.

Dark times for cars, that's for sure!

Widget
    Right! I was going to mention that, as most people barf all over domestics during that time period for being slow, but it was pretty much everything during that time period except maybe super cars. But I wouldn't be surprised if even those weren't as good as they were or could've been.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Oh wow, so you bought that car new? Mind sharing any pics with us if you still have them? What color? Options? Did you order it or pick it off the lot? They were still very cool looking cars and at the least, you could still do burnouts. '75 would've been the "Poncho" 400 and not the Olds 403, right? I remember reading somewhere that by '78 or '79 it was a crap-shoot as to which one you ended up with. Heard the 400 could be made respectable by deleting omissions stuff, a little carb tuning and some timing advance. I'd love to have a '77 or '78, Formula flavor even.
    New off the lot. My dad and I went to the dealership to look at Firebirds. They didn't have any, but they had this thing called a Trans Am. It was silver, no screaming chicken decal on the hood... that likely would have been a deal breaker. The car was over the top for our tastes, but driving it was rather seductive. It was fun to drive even if it wasn't the powerhouse of earlier muscle cars or of cars to come.

My dad and I shared the car for a year and then at high school graduation it became mine and my dad moved into a string of boring corporate cars... all GM.

No surviving car pics that I am aware of. It was silver with a black interior, but the seats were white. Not bad for the hot summers of northern California. I made the shaker hood scoop operable and removed the catalytic convertor and added a proper dual exhaust. May have improved power a little, but those two mods significantly improved fuel economy. The engine was a light metallic blue... I have no idea what its lineage was.

A couple of years into college and I decided I would rather cash out and spend the money on a stereo and other necessities. I sold the car and bought a '68 VW Beetle. I've been driving VWs most of the time since.

Widget

New off the lot. My dad and I went to the dealership to look at Firebirds. They didn't have any, but they had this thing called a Trans Am. It was silver, no screaming chicken decal on the hood... that likely would have been a deal breaker. The car was over the top for our tastes, but driving it was rather seductive. It was fun to drive even if it wasn't the powerhouse of earlier muscle cars or of cars to come.

My dad and I shared the car for a year and then at high school graduation it became mine and my dad moved into a string of boring corporate cars... all GM.

No surviving car pics that I am aware of. It was silver with a black interior, but the seats were white. Not bad for the hot summers of northern California. I made the shaker hood scoop operable and removed the catalytic convertor and added a proper dual exhaust. May have improved power a little, but those two mods significantly improved fuel economy. The engine was a light metallic blue... I have no idea what its lineage was.

A couple of years into college and I decided I would rather cash out and spend the money on a stereo and other necessities. I sold the car and bought a '68 VW Beetle. I've been driving VWs most of the time since.

Widget
    You lived through what I believe to be some of the best times for music and cars, I'm envious. I haven't had any interest in new cars save for those of the pony variety. But even then, I'm still "meh" about those. I've driven a few cars from that era and yeah, they are still fun to drive despite all of the trash people dump on them. I've found that my personal experience with those and other things has overruled the opinion that was formed subliminally by my peers or messages that had found their way into my brain- Don't always believe what "they" say. "This thing called a Trans Am." hahaha. Silver was kind of a rare color? And no phoenix? Hmm, I liked them, but certainly not a must have for me. Do you remember if your car had power windows & locks? Rear defrost? Posi traction & rear disc brakes? I love learning about what options a car had. I am not sure at all, but I think if your engine was that pretty blue color it was the Poncho and not the Olds flavor, the Poncho being the most desirable. You did burnouts and doughnuts in it, right? (How expensive were tires back then? My dad said he never paid attention to them, but was always putting Michelins on his "race" cars as he called them.)

JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Wolf View Post
    Doesn't necessarily mean he got anywhere near that asking price! Could have. Maybe not. Don't know.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information