Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this guy dreaming or am I out to lunch?

Is this guy dreaming or am I out to lunch?

For sale in Canadian dollars; about $14,000 USD. I'm not trying to stir up any controversy; just wondering how real this price is in todays market. Or, are vintage JBL's really that collectable?

Bernard
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

Need more info… what speakers are we talking about?

Widget

I’m guessing it’s this add.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...613-jbl-4350a/

10 mins from where I live.

Sorry about that, forgot the link.

again: https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...613-jbl-4350a/

Bernard
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

A very complete piece of vintage history that will never again be duplicated. What would it be worth now if it was a vintage car?? And, of course, that's Canadian Dollars, so—what—about fifty-bucks?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The audio market is more a popularity and nostalgia display than a quality driven enterprise. News to no one here I am sure. It seems that in Asia at least 4350s and 4355s are valued much higher that 4345s. No accounting for bad taste.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The audio market is more a popularity and nostalgia display than a quality driven enterprise. News to no one here I am sure.
    Yep!

I certainly agree that 4350/55s look bad ass... and can do things that most speakers can't. But... they are not for everyone. Clark and myself included.

Widget

The 4350 sound much better upside down. That is why they are so appreciated Down Under…..Lolllllllll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The 4350 sound much better upside down. That is why they are so appreciated Down Under…..Lolllllllll.

Widget

As I do live and work in Canadian dollars that is a large amount of money. I only have what I can listen to music with but, I can well imagine for some it is something beyond. I just never considered a vintage piece of audio equipment to be in the same league as a vintage automobile. I have owned some vintage gear over time. For instance a Marantz 8 and 7b. Together they can still be had for under $10,000, maybe less. Supply and demand will be the arbiter.

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Wolf View Post
    I just never considered a vintage piece of audio equipment to be in the same league as a vintage automobile.
    I guess you've never seen a JBL Paragon or vintage McIntosh?
    It's happening.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I'm sure there's better vintage stuff out there, but I paid the vintage sales tax once over some Marantz gear. Pretty much every piece of equipment which came after it was not only cheaper, but sounded much better. I now understand when someone says something like, "Oh Marantz? Yeah, they've got that two-martini sound." (fuzzy midrange).

Although I love the look of the 4350A/B. I wonder what they sound like, but that'll forever remain a pipe dream much like how I wonder what it would be like to own & drive a 1970 'Cuda.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I'm sure there's better vintage stuff out there, but I paid the vintage sales tax once over some Marantz gear. Pretty much every piece of equipment which came after it was not only cheaper, but sounded much better. I now understand when someone says something like, "Oh Marantz? Yeah, they've got that two-martini sound." (fuzzy midrange).

Although I love the look of the 4350A/B. I wonder what they sound like, but that'll forever remain a pipe dream much like how I wonder what it would be like to own & drive a 1970 'Cuda.
    I spent most of my 20s and early 30s listening to 4350s - the Slam! was hard to believe.
    They also tend to win you the "Who has the Biggest Baddest speaker" award all around.

My brother has a '70 Cuda. He drives it exactly twice a year to blow the carbon out.
    I had a '71 Challenger 383. It was a ball to drive, but terrifying - literally a 7 liter brakeless, numb steering wonder.
    A number of times I caught air when charging up steep hills with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nedseg View Post
    I spent most of my 20s and early 30s listening to 4350s - the Slam! was hard to believe.
    They also tend to win you the "Who has the Biggest Baddest speaker" award all around.

My brother has a '70 Cuda. He drives it exactly twice a year to blow the carbon out.
    I had a '71 Challenger 383. It was a ball to drive, but terrifying - literally a 7 liter brakeless, numb steering wonder.
    A number of times I caught air when charging up steep hills with it.
    Whoa, were they in a studio or a private set-up somewhere? I wish I could experience that.

What's the story on both cars? Like, when did you have your Challenger? How long has your brother had his '70 'Cuda? Pics? Amazing how you could opt for such a huge engine but better brakes & tires were still optional. I think that's they're appeal, you had to know how to drive them. Nowadays anything will do 100 mph while feeling as if it's doing 60 or so.

I remember growing up, the fastest car in 1967 was a GTO tri-power which could do 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. (Google currently says it is 6.6)
    The least powerful BMW I sell today will do 6.3 and that's an SUV rated at 228HP.

Thread Information