Thread: Having rainy day fun!

Having rainy day fun!

Brought my office system home and decided to give it a go upstairs. It's a pair of 308P Mk 2's and a 550P subwoofer using an M552 active crossover driven by the Zone 2 from my Pre-processor It holds up well! Fun doing the comparison.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Very cool… do you use the 308P’s room tuning capabilities or just run them flat?

Widget

Hello Widget

For the most part flat. The tweeter is set flat. Getting a little bass bloom I might be able to improve using the Room Boundary settings to help tame it. Have the sub crossing over at 40Hz and it's good. Sounds extended and integration worked out well. Can't tell where the sub is.

Rob

I love the huge speakers at the left and right. How are you liking your Emotiva amps? Would you recommend any of their products?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Have the sub crossing over at 40Hz and it's good. Sounds extended and integration worked out well. Can't tell where the sub is.
    Wow, 40Hz... that should help with integration, not just the localization but also reduce issues with differing arrival times and the accompanying phase issues.

Unfortunately in my recent project I couldn't go that low with my dual 5" LCRs in my HT. I had to stick with 80Hz. Along those lines I had some rainy day fun myself. (No rain though, I am in drought stricken Northern California.) Last weekend, I moved my subs around and further refined the sound by playing with placement.

In my case I had a corner loaded conventional 12" subwoofer and two "in-wall" subs sitting behind and flanking the couch to smooth out room modes. For kicks I went on my own "rainy day" journey. As it turned out I found the system sounded best by removing the corner loaded sub and relocating the two smaller subs directly behind the left and right speakers. Using the Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect tuning system, the integration became quite seamless. It was very good before, but the new configuration added snap to deep bass drums and added clarity to the double bass and electric bass guitars. Luckily for me the room dimensions and proportions allow for a fairly wide range of listening positions in this configuration as well.

Based on your comments and my recent experiments, I think having near full frequency LCRs with a lower crossover to the sub as you have done should be the goal if possible. Augmenting a speaker like the wonderful but tiny KEF LS50, you will probably need to locate a pair of subs near the speakers as I have done. Unfortunately this won't work in every case.

On a separate topic, how would you compare the imaging between the M2 clones and the 308Ps?

Widget

Hello Widget

The boundary switch worked and got the bloom out. The imaging is very similar but the spacing is not the same for each pair so comparisons are not exact. Both speakers extend out beyond the sides so when you switch between them it get's a little wider on the outer system. The center for the most part stays put. One thing for sure is the amount of toe in required to get a "match" is much greater on the 308's. The M2 are more precise and a bit wider with more depth, clarity, stability and more spacious/air.

But I have to wonder how much the differences in space and clarity is driver driven. The larger system is effortless and you can hear some clouding/strain comparing the two even at lower levels in the 80's SPL wise.

I would call the M2 waveguide as the winner.

Rob

Thread Information