Thread: Would an Onken W work well with JE labs 414/32c type design?

Would an Onken W work well with JE labs 414/32c type design?

In a basement system- is this a combo worth trying?

I'd build a sand filled Onken W and use 416's. On top BR boxes with 414z, 32c, 808-16a drivers.
    It would actively crossover between the two boxes. Tentatively at 300Hz

I'm pretty well resolved to go this route. Would it be good to use two 414's per side or just one?

I can’t help since I have zero experience with these cabinets, but it might be helpful if you explained why you are interested in going this route. What are your goals, what other systems do you like and why etc.

Widget

I've been playing with gear for a while and Altec appears to be the final frontier. I'll move into a house with a basement soon and I'd like to experience the high resolution bass that some have said the Onken W delivers. I listen to many genres and have gotten into SET's. My bedroom system is Alan Eaton SET amps running Zu DW's or Klipsch Fortes.

I have a bunch of gear that should pair well with big sensitive speakers including an early Decware Zen, FirstWatt SIT-3, Elekit 300B with Lundahls, a Threshold crossover... too much to list. Recently I've been accumulating the drivers. In my mind I'm picturing speaker cabinets modeled closely after Altec Monitors sitting on top of Onken W cabs that are styled to match. I want a unique system that looks and sounds beautiful

Onken

You can model it. An Onken W is 200+liters box with a port Sd about the same area as the speaker cone Tuning as I recall was 36 Hz.

After trying the 32c horns with 808 CD's - I prefer the Faital HF108R with no horn. Also I'm not gonna sand fill the onken Ws because this will be on the second floor. You may join in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzoZlpx0mKA&t=10s

It's a bass reflex cabinet that uses slots on each side of cabinet. What is the advantage over a standard box using flared ports?? Functionally I don't really see a difference except that the standard box using ports would be easier to re-tune by just changing the port out.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thanks Rob. For the 414's I'm going to make sealed individual boxes, it's the 416's that are going in the Onken W cabs. https://twogoodears.blogspot.com/200...-toni-and.html I'm continuing to look for input on the system design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kouziNJt0Dg

Here are some plans might help.

https://josephcrowe.com/products/onk...6-8b-16-woofer

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Ryan,

RE I'm continuing to look for input on the system design.

Other than liking ancient look, there's no good acoustical reason to mount a woofer from the back side of the cabinet as seen in the Crowe picture. This was frequent in the 60's-70s since they didn't really know better.

Most, if not all, manufacturers moved away from back mounting woofers since it is undesirable, plus front installation is easier. Since the 416-8B can be front mounted, then why bother.

When rear mounting this creates a cavity at the front of the speaker baffle and the edges of the cut-out produce sound wave diffraction with possible response peaks and dips.

Also, the slot vents on the picture seem pretty narrow to my eye.

Richard