Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L 65a - new Crossover. where to start?

All you need to know about Charge Coupled Networks in the attached Links. I have been using them for years. The conversion is actually simple once you understand how to do it. Can get expensive depending on how complex the networks are and what the initial values are. Using 4 times the original value you can see why.

Rob

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...sed-Capacitors

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...500/page11.jpg
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

These days going fully active is very affordable and effective

L65a

While you are at it I would recommend punting the LE-5 and replacing it with a 104h2…has a lot smoother frequency profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallacefl View Post
    While you are at it I would recommend punting the LE-5 and replacing it with a 104h2…has a lot smoother frequency profile.
    I imagine lots could be done with the L-65 as far as drivers go. We could turn the L-65 into a monster perhaps with the change to pro drivers throughout. And not forgetting crossover values. We then of course don't have a real true blue L-65 anymore, but something else. Might be better, and then again, to what end?

I know over the years here, we've witnessed and enjoyed many great saves, and superb world class custom DIY.

One factor to consider is resale value. With the mods I did on my own could perhaps be frowned upon as they are of course not bone stock except for all original drivers.
    My main theme was not to adversely alter-maim the intended limitations and/of design, and their character of sound.

Mine always pleased me, so much, that many more expensive speakers did not persuade me to change.
    I knew that in the event of a possible upgrade, it would have to again be the JBL Family.

Enter the 4430 Monitors I bought, and I've been largely content with these in their bone stock form. I might refer to these as a poor man's M2.

You make a good point .

In keeping with the original drivers the crossover network could be sharpened up to minimise the negative aspects of stretching the bandwidth the original components.

Back when these loudspeaker were devised optimisation of crossover networks did not exist.

I do not think alternative drivers constitutes the L65A.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallacefl View Post
    looks good, this is the pro version of the le-5? could one also use the 104h-3 from the 4410/4412?

Thread Information