Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec 817 / 817A cabinet plans ?

A problem comes with double 8 ohm, it will be 16 Ohm at the multicell and 4 in the bass cab. The crossover needs to be modified.
    Macsic where did you put your crossover point ? I have now 500Hz 12 dB ( Hiraga A7) but thinking of a 6dB instead, any suggestions ?

What about connecting the woofers in series instead of paralell? Since this is a high efficiency cabinet it shouldn't require a lot of power to make noise, plus the cost of Watts is low. You need to match the LF/HF levels anyway.

6 DB for the low-pass (woofers) or on the high-pass side (horn) or for both sides?? Not clear to me the way its written. Assuming for both sides, the most critical would be the high-pass (HF) because of horn protection reasons. You would have to shift the xo frequency higher, like 1 khz, to have comparable CD protection.

Then the question becomes can the woofers meet properly the HF at 1 khz? According to Eargle a 15" can be taken to 1 khz with a DI 10 db. So a more directional driver, however the LF horn cab is already directional anyway, so some more or less might not spoil the sauce.

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

yes, both sides 6dB slope but you are right, maybe to much HF is coming out of the 416 to keep the 288 safe ? I think 1000Hz would be waste of horn size
    I have some alternatives for amps but I will start with LEAK TL12 at 12W . I have not yet tried biamp with passive filter but I feel it has to be identical amplifiers. I have tried electronic crossover but it all fell apart no more drama only HiFi.

I can see different opinions about serial connection and parallel, The impedance curve would look funny with 4 and 16 Ohm but if I use a tube amp it would be less sensitive I suppose ? the bigges part of the power is going to the bass bin and the horn only a fraction with its higher sensitivity ?

Quote Originally Posted by Timelens View Post
    A very nice collection ! I wish I had that kind of mancave... I have not measured if it is possible to keep 200 mm AND 70 mm vent but since the outer box is not made yet I will adjust it to be correct if it is not adding up.

I see a Smith horn ? I have never heard one in real life, interesting ! I will pair the 817 with my dear Altec 1503 multicell but I would like to hear your impressions on the Smith horn.
    Tell that to my wife ;-)
    Yes, I have had a multitude of horns over the years but these remain my favorite with the 2450 equipped with aquapla slides, please note that this only involves me in a certain environment and yes it should not be overlooked that the horns must correspond to the needs and environments where they will be used. I'd say my other favorites have been 1005s (still have them) I've had 1003s that are too big for my use, the JBL 2360s are amazing too but they have to be in really big spaces the image forming a long way off ahead, the JBL 2395 lenses that I like just as much, of course I had the others with smaller motors but I definitely prefer the larger dia of the Altec 288 and the JBL aluminum or titanium aquaplas, I am intrigued by the M2s that I haven't really had the chance to fully listen to, there's not just one way to reach your goal. And blah blah
    Music is emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelens View Post
    A problem comes with double 8 ohm, it will be 16 Ohm at the multicell and 4 in the bass cab. The crossover needs to be modified.
    Macsic where did you put your crossover point ? I have now 500Hz 12 dB ( Hiraga A7) but thinking of a 6dB instead, any suggestions ?
    In the past I've tinkered with my Hiraga inspired A7's and 5's but haven't used a passive crossover for these.
    Last with an active DSP XTA crossover I always cut higher than 500 depending on the drivers it was around 650 with a first order slope but all this is in my opinion useless you have to take measurements
    in your environment and then apply corrections and listen, try, listen, try, listen...
    Crossover point for me now with my 817 it's LPF 800 with LR 48 and I don't know how it could help you :-)
    Music is emotion.

Yes,I realize that it will take som time to figure out and measure the crossover, it took me several years to tweak the Edgar/1505. I actually have 600Hz 12dB and I find it working well. I had the Hiraga correction for the multicell but it kind of took the breath of the horn, I have no audiophile words for it, just boring.
    I guess 416 is a different animal than E130 but the crossover to the horn would be the same. I am thinking of borrowing electronic crossover just to find out the crossover point.
    I find it useless running exclusive/expensive/rare triodes and then run it with a dozen of suspect opamps...
    Thanks for input, great help !

Thread Information