Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap studio series.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    Yeah, the total surface area is not bad. It just seems like the woofers in the 590, for whatever reason, hit their limit much sooner than the 12" woofers in my other vintage JBLs.

A brief example below, with my 590s and my L150s. Volume was matched at 115dBC peaks. The bass on the 590s seemed to get a bit "sloppy" at times, very likely because the 580J woofers in the 590 appeared to be nearing the limits of their suspension. The bass from the L150 in comparison retained it's composure throughout the test.
    Well, the 590s are back to the retail price (for now) without me having purchased a pair. I guess I'll just have to finish the surround job on my L150As and see how they stack up to the L7s.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi Chris,

RE very likely because the 580J woofers in the 590 appeared to be nearing the limits of their suspension.

I believe you without listening to the track you posted. Did a quick search and found there's possibly some "marketing" in the 590 capabilities... Look at the bold character note on the picture.

Recommended amp 250W but partially, only on occasional peaks, not on a sustained basis. These are not the good old JBL drivers that were overbuilt and could take some more. No wonder it runs out of steam sooner.

The L150 is from the past, plus the passive radiator does not have the same mechanical limitations a normal driver has (e.g. having voice coil in the gap). So such comparison, though still interesting, might be viewed as bit unfair for the 590.

Richard

Name:  IMG_3324.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  119.1 KB
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

When my L150A's worked, I was very impressed with their bass response. Why'd you film in portrait mode? Both sets would've fit in landscape, not to mention it matches the aspect ratio of a proper TV.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Why'd you film in portrait mode? Both sets would've fit in landscape, not to mention it matches the aspect ratio of a proper TV.
    With the speakers being much taller than they are wide, portrait mode seemed appropriate. The L150 video was initially made as a passive radiator demonstration video since there is still so much confusion and misinformation about passive radiators out there, so obviously I wanted to make sure that the PR was included prominently in the video. Similar logic applied with the 590 due to it's dual woofers in a vertical orientation. In each video, only that one pair of speakers was being powered, so there didn't seem to be much reason to include the other speakers in each video. The times when I have done videos of my entire system I have generally used landscape.

With the speakers being much taller than they are wide, portrait mode seemed appropriate. The L150 video was initially made as a passive radiator demonstration video since there is still so much confusion and misinformation about passive radiators out there, so obviously I wanted to make sure that the PR was included prominently in the video. Similar logic applied with the 590 due to it's dual woofers in a vertical orientation. In each video, only that one pair of speakers was being powered, so there didn't seem to be much reason to include the other speakers in each video. The times when I have done videos of my entire system I have generally used landscape.

Start wide so the entire cabinets are in the shot, move in closer and frame only the woofs? Compared to the woofers, it's not like the tweeters or mids do anything visibly dynamic when driven hard, so no biggie if they're left out of the shot. I do enjoy watching the piston action of woofers, especially the PR's. I miss my L150A's! They sit in my living room as mute reminders of what once was.. Maybe someday I'll get the parts back and put 'em back on the road.

Thread Information