Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makie a JBL 2234 with a 2225

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    An additional thought would be to make your MTM using three separate modules stacked on top of each other. That way you can play around with different horns or other options as l mentioned or even adopt a horizontal approach to the woofers if you prefer.

All too often a diy loudspeaker builder conceives his design before the building it and never has an opportunity to try some options. This is important where the original design is not up to your expectations. Even the best ideas do not always impress our ears. This is what makes building a diy loudspeaker some of an art.

In general conceiving your own final diy loudspeaker design before building it is a huge leap of faith. Cloning a previous known design closely has a much higher probability of success if you only intend building the final enclosure from plans.

The fun part is always the journey. What you build you have to live with.

I hope that makes sense.

Ian

Mannnnyy Thanks Ian,

Wonderfull post with many interresting things to know / consider.
    Now I need to review my copy to integerer these new elements. Prpbably a 3 separated modules design (as I've already think about). It should be a good way to test the solution.

- Do you think that the SS Audio kit is good ? (to test the 2234 solution)

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    As I said, a pair of 2241s is preferable to my ear, and the RTA, than a pair of 2235s. And I have both to listen too.

This is the original issue CD played on an Oppo95 through a Yamaha RX-Z9 Receiver in "Pure Direct" mode through the Mermans (JBL 2241H, JBL 2251J, Heil AMT) with no eq, digital processing, or room correction, electronic or physical. Room is quite large, and you hear it in the recording.

Hello Toddalin,

I have a 2241H, I can do a test.
    What is the "bandwith / volume / port tuning" you set in your system for this speaker ?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Hello Toddalin,

I have a 2241H, I can do a test.
    What is the "bandwith / volume / port tuning" you set in your system for this speaker ?
    Use 6.5 cubic feet (unless you can go bigger) and use WinISD to calculate the ports. My cabinets were already built (JBL PA clones), and when I ran WinISD on them with the two 5" ports, the lengths are what they came out to be.

I run a 2.5 way and the 2241H crosses over at about 280 Hz with a bit steeper slope (extra mfd on 2241H). I run the parallel resistor to reduce the volume of the 2241H a bit to match the other components. Name:  ScreenHunter_403 Sep. 14 16.28.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  82.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Mannnnyy Thanks Ian,

Wonderfull post with many interresting things to know / consider.
    Now I need to review my copy to integerer these new elements. Prpbably a 3 separated modules design (as I've already think about). It should be a good way to test the solution.

- Do you think that the SS Audio kit is good ? (to test the 2234 solution)
    I have not used these particular kits.
    Those SS Audio kits are so cheap just try them out to see what you think. Ken at Upland Loudspeaker Service may be able to help you with a quality 2234 reproduction with a no rot fabric surround.

O

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I have not used these particular kits.
    Those SS Audio kits are so cheap just try them out to see what you think. Ken at Upland Loudspeaker Service may be able to help you with a quality 2234 reproduction with a no rot fabric surround.

O
    Ok I'll do it.

Thread Information