Hello,

Newbie here. I have a pair of Altec Lansing Model 15 and one sounds a little muddier than the other.

I’ve confirmed it’s the speaker & not the amp, cables, etc. One of the tests to confirm was to switch the L/R rca’s from the cd player (you know how some recordings have different instruments, eq settings in each channel). I wanted to make sure I heard; say the hi-hat, or crash cymbal in the good speaker first. When switching the L/R channels into the bad speaker, the same hi-hat/crash was not as pronounced.

A little background: These are my dad’s speakers that I inherited in the 90’s so I am the second owner. I had the woofers re-coned in ’98 and again in ’15. Don’t think anything’s been done with the horn diaphragms or the crossovers. A little research shows the caps in the x-overs might need to be replaced.

Having the M.F. Level at max (on the bad speaker) seems to help a little with the highs, although it says the optimum level is in the middle. I currently have the H.F. Level centered even although optimum says ¾ to max.

Questions:
-how do I know if the problem is with the horn diaphragm or in the crossover?
-if it caps are bad in one x-over, is it better to replace both sides even though only one speaker is muddy? The other speaker sounds incredible.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.